GE Fanuc series 90-30 PLC?

Wynandp

Just bit of back ground. We got a gefanuc 90-30 plc on elevator. Oil ran into unit. I took plc - back plane. cpu/powersupply,2 input module and one o/p module out and remove all the oil. I found that one input module was coroded and replace this. Put everything back together but run light does not come on. Any idees what it can be?

If I recall correctly these have a battery for memory backup. What did you do with the battery when you disassembled? You may have lost the memory and thus the program.

You may have to clean this unit further. This will not be easy. You will need to remove all traces of oil and the dirt. This will require either a solvent (CHOOSE CAREFULLY) or soap and water with a couple rinses last rinse ideally in distilled or deionized water and an isopropyl bath - entirely submerged. Then air dry.

I dropped a Fluke VOM in dirty waste laundry water did the cleanup as above and still works. But you gotta be quick.

I think you should start considering replacement.

Dan Bentler

I agree it may have lost the program. The crappy part of the GE design is that the battery is located in the power supply. If you remove the CPU from the back plane you remove the battery supply too. Depending on CPU it will have a capacitor that retains the cpu memory for a limited time while it is removed from the back plane, I think a 364 I was supporting was 1 hour. If it was removed from the back plane longer then a half day or so I'd say the program is gone.

Of course you can try to go online with it to determine if it is there or not.

Thanks for reply

The electrician took powersupply out because he think that is problem.I only had next change to have a look and strip and clean.So I think you right It must be reprogrammed. I took prom out as well to clean. Now our program cable is gone. Any body have instruction on how to use handheld programmer?

Thanks
If I recall correctly these have a battery for memory backup. What did you do with the battery when you disassembled? You may have lost the memory and thus the program.

You may have to clean this unit further. This will not be easy. You will need to remove all traces of oil and the dirt. This will require either a solvent (CHOOSE CAREFULLY) or soap and water with a couple rinses last rinse ideally in distilled or deionized water and an isopropyl bath - entirely submerged. Then air dry.

I dropped a Fluke VOM in dirty waste laundry water did the cleanup as above and still works. But you gotta be quick.

I think you should start considering replacement.

Dan Bentler

In my experience with the GE Fanuc 90-30 plc ,is that the capacitor in the power supply does not do very well when subjected to vibration while on a machine. Because the PLC was subjected to oil, you could clean it as suggested, but the best thing to do is replace it because of it being used to control an elevator. If it is an elevator for people, we do not want them stuck for a period of time. And if this elevator is freight, this could cause unnecessary down time. You have to weigh the cost of the new plc to the cost of problems that could happen if it goes down. Also because oil got in the plc, you might want to move it to another location or incase it in a metal panel box making sure you still have proper air flow. To get the hand held programming manual, just contact your GE PLC supplier so they can email it to you. Hope this helps some.

Last edited: