IP across controllogix bridge question

kbradray

I have a controllogix bridge to tie my business network to my PLC network in the following configuration.

ENET card IP address 206.44.61.19 (Static IP from my business side)
ENBT card IP address of 192.168.0.100 (Static IP local to the PLC network)

My total PLC IP addresses range from 192.168.0.13 – 192.168.0.217

I just added some equipment to the PLC network with IP addresses of

Line 1
192.168.0.210 SLC 5/05
192.168.0.211 PV +
192.168.0.212 ML1100

Line 2
192.168.0.215 SLC 5/05
192.168.0.216 PV +
192.168.0.217 ML1100

When I browse through my bridge I can only see the last address of 192.168.0.212. I am sure I configured the ENBT to browse for the 215-217 IP addresses, but they do not show up in linx. (not even with a red x through them)

Any advise appreciated.

Sounds like a network issue

If the devices are not showing up in linx, it sounds to me like they are not attached to the network, especially when you have done the same thing with other equipment, and can browse those devices fine. Might be a cabling or termination issue. The best thing to do is get a cheap, unmanaged switch. Connect the PLC LAN ENBT to the switch, as well as your laptop, and the other equipment. You should be able to ping the devices directly from your laptop. Once you have established that, then try browsing in Linx through the ENBT. That's the easiest method to troubleshooting this type of thing, as it saves time beating your head against a wall due to a bad cable, or termination.

Linx config or ENET?

It's been my experience that you have to manually add in the IP addresses that you want RSLinx to browse for on the remote bridge. Right click on Ethernet underneath ENBT then click properties. Add remote IPs and Linx will look for these there. In my example, I have ENBTs in both positions, no ENETs. I'm not an expert on the differences between ENET and ENBT but, this might be your problem.

RSLinx_Bridge.jpg

gmferg beat me to it - you have to add those addresses (210,211) under the EthernetIP driver settings. Even if you can't communicate with them, RSLinx should show them with an x through.

Thanks

Thanks to those who responded

I have manually added them to Linx in the way discussed above. I don’t think it is a switch or cable issue because to verify I unplugged the cable from the unmanaged switch (which I know is good because I can see other PLC through it remotely) and plugged it directly into my laptop to browse successfully to the PLCs that aren’t showing up via the bridge.

I will keep working and thanks again.

Some other suggestions

Oakley,

I think your question is irrelevant. He has been able to browse to some equipment, so the driver being used must be correct, just perhaps not setup to accomodate the full range of addresses.

Thanks to those who responded

I have manually added them to Linx in the way discussed above. I don’t think it is a switch or cable issue because to verify I unplugged the cable from the unmanaged switch (which I know is good because I can see other PLC through it remotely) and plugged it directly into my laptop to browse successfully to the PLCs that aren’t showing up via the bridge.

I will keep working and thanks again.

If I am understanding you correctly, when hooked up as you intend to use, you cannot see the second line of processors. But, when unplugging which cable from the unmanaged switch???? you can see the other PLC.

Assuming that you are correct, and it is not a cabling issue, the only things left are that your subnet mask is blocking traffic to those addresses either in your laptop, or in the module configuration, or you have faulty hardware. Although it's doubtful that all 3 components are bad. One other thing to try to gain more understanding of the problem is to re-address one of the controllers that you cannot browse, or physically move them to one of the known good locations. This also will help determine if the problem is in configuration, or in location.

I don't think it is irrevelant.

I have had problems using the EthernetIP driver with the browsing.

I use the Ethernet driver in which I configure. Never had a problem since.

More Information

I am using the ethernet driver recommended

My subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

My network ranges from 192.168.0.11 thru 192.168.0.217

I set the IP address of the ENBT at 192.168.0.100 to be in the middle of the subnet. (I have changed this address to check to see if this was the issue (No go))

I cannot see the either the 192.168.0.11 PLC or the 192.168.0.215 PLC

Thanks again for all the responses.

Can you ping those IP addresses? From the command prompt "ping 192.168.0.210"

Last edited:
Ping

I can ping the ethernet card in the bridge that is local to the business subnet (my desk), but I cannot ping across the bridge to the PLC. When plugged directly into the main router downstream from the bridge I can ping out to the PLCs but not across the bridge.

Thanks Ken

ENBT vs. ENET

ENET card IP address 206.44.61.19 (Static IP from my business side)
ENBT card IP address of 192.168.0.100 (Static IP local to the PLC network)

I'm going to raise the ENBT vs. ENET question again. I searched AB's KB and all examples that match what you are trying to do show ENBT being the local module and ENET on the remote end. ENBT is a bridging ethernet module and ENET is not. As a test, can you swap the 2 modules and swap their IPs?

Ping won't pass through a bridge because it is blocked by the ENBT/ENET.

I have a controllogix bridge to tie my business network to my PLC network .....
Be sure and tie it also to a bankruptcy court, in case some hacker gets in to the PLC network through the business network, and destroys all your machinery.