printer port (parallel) to ethernet adapter

briana banks

Hello

I have 2 industial operator panels (Exor eTOP33C) which are connected (using their RJ-45 ports) to an ethernet network to that includes PLC,PC and a single network printer.

surprisingly, these panels can send print commands ONLY through their parallel printer ports which resides next to its RJ-45 port.

is there an appropriate adapter for this task?
I only need to print one screen from the panel.

the panels are movable on a slide so the solution has to take that into consideration.

Thanks​

the way i understood, she clearly can, the problem is with running printer cables which she would like to get rid of and just use ethernet (it's "ethernet" server for parallel port).

question: why HMIs are used for printing when there is PC?
you can have HMI print button set bit in PLC (and all other print data). PC can use that to print.

Not clear on the question.

Are you asking how to print from a parallel port to your network printer?

Yes, the Exor eTOP33C panel has no 'print to network printer' option. only to parallel port, although it has RJ-45 port for communicating with PLC & for downloading software.
although there is a PC with HMI on the network, but i want to sell that wizcon HMI and just use panels.
that testing unit has no need for 2500$ HMI plug as it has HMI
capabilities through the panels.
I know there is mini printer server that connect Ethernet network PCs to old parallel printer port. my question is, if it can work in the opposite direction i.e. connect old fashion panel to new printer network.

Many Thanx

I find it odd that no one makes a parallel to ethernet adapter, but I guess there's not much demand for it?... :confused:

Not the most elegant solution, but Blackbox makes line drivers that allow you to send parallel data over a single twisted pair (LINK). That would eliminate the need for a bulky 25 conductor cable from each HMI. I know this doesn't solve your problem, but at least it will allow you to get the parallel data from the HMIs out to a central point. You'll still need an automatic printer switch to allow them to share a single printer.

If you want to eliminate running additional cables, you might be able to use a 'spare' twisted pair in the existing CAT5 cables (100Base-T only uses 2 of the 4 available pairs in the cable)... ;)

🍻

-Eric