General doubts

bobbybosco

B
Few general questions.
What is the difference between a SCADA system and a PLC with HMI?
Can I program my PLC from a remote location via LAN?
What is the difference between SCADA and PC based Data Acquisition system?
I have heard of SCADA being used for most power station automation, why is it so and not DCS is being used. why is it so? I believe that SCADA is just a software package.
For TDC 3000 system what is the no.of loops possible in one APM?
Also if any one I require an overview of the MCC Room common in industries, purpose , distribution-incoming, outgoing , breakers, isolators, fuses , cable sizes , wiring diagrams etc..
If there is a Yokogawa DCS and Tata Honeywell DCS in a refinery , Is there a computer linking both so that the Director of the refinery can view the entire scenario.
Kindly provide short and simple explanations
My mail id is [email protected]

Answers and opinions

What is the difference between a SCADA system and a PLC with HMI?
survey says: SCADA(Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) is just what it says it is. A PLC with HMI can do the same or similar operations. However, using a PLC for loads of data acquisition and storage/manipulation is not a good idea IMO.
Can I program my PLC from a remote location via LAN?
yes, and no. Mostly depends on the connection from your PLC to a LAN and other network considerations. But, if all is in order, then rock on.
I have heard of SCADA being used for most power station automation, why is it so and not DCS is being used. why is it so? I believe that SCADA is just a software package.
Why indeed, do those guys do that? Well, it mostly comes from the company/engineers who design such monstrosities and what they are trying to achieve and are comfortable with using. DCS equipment or lots of PLCs can do the same thing, but may not be as desirable for cost, operability, upgrading, and so on as the SCADA based control. SCADA is just software just as a 747 is just an airplane.
For TDC 3000 system what is the no.of loops possible in one APM? Also if any one I require an overview of the MCC Room common in industries, purpose , distribution-incoming, outgoing , breakers, isolators, fuses , cable sizes , wiring diagrams etc.
I would suggest that you contact Honeywell about what the TDC 300 can or can not do. I have not a clue what the second part of your question might be about regarding the MCC room. However, if you need info on MCCs or power distribution switchgear, you can find plenty of info online by searching under the appropriate key words.
If there is a Yokogawa DCS and Tata Honeywell DCS in a refinery , Is there a computer linking both so that the Director of the refinery can view the entire scenario.
well yes and no and maybe but until you find out the exact situation at a particular refinery, who knows. This question is a little too broad to answer unless a particular location is chosen and identified.
Kindly provide short and simple explanations
And don't we all wish this was possible all the time. Short and simple is not always desirable, if true understanding is the goal. Unfortunately, some things just take a lot of discussion and effort to understand, and I am certainly one who has done a lot of both. It is a challenge just to stay semi-current in any technical field with the rate of technology change we all face. Bottom line, they don't call it work for nothing!

p.s. Mike beat me to the punch with his reply but he is on target.

Last edited:
The SCADA/DCS/PLC has question has been done several times here, and in great detail. Use the search function to find these threads.

There are no simple answers to these questions - it often comes down to designer experience and comfort level, installed base, and customer preference. IF, as I suspect, you are starting a new job and this is not a school project I suggest you get some guidance from your surpervisor.

By the way, SCADA can be joined with PLCs or DCS or both on the same system.