Driver board

hapetter

Hi.
Im going to control a galvanometer (control of a mirror - set position (angle), set velocity, position feedback) with an analog driver board. The driver galvanometer is controlled like this:

analogue input (selectable +/-3, 5, 8 or 10V).

The position output is always +/-3V. Depending on the tuning, this corresponds to a certain scan angle. I.e. +/-3V are equal to +/-30 deg opt. Half of the command input signal results in half of the position signal and half of the scan angle. Also, depending on how your command input signal looks like, the scanner will react to it. I.e. if you command a triangle waveform with a certain frequency, the scanner will follow the commanded signal with a constant velocity. If you command a jump (step waveform), the rotor/mirror will also jump to a certain position (jump size depends on amplitude of your commanded step).

So my question is (newbie...).

I like constant velocity
  1. Can I use a PWM signal? If so. Can you explain how to use this signal to set a setpoint (position) and velocity.
  2. Should I control the position in open or closed loop?
  3. How should I design (code) the driver output (+-10V) in software?
Thanks!

Best Regards
Hans Pettersson

Bump this post to top. It needs an answer, and there are many here who can contribute. Have at it, guys.

I was tempted to give an answer right on the day the initial post appeared but decided to hold on: I could think of a few things based on the general considerations and experience but have never worked with galvos. That must be some kind of laser beam control application, right? Very, very interesting.

BTW, some nitpicking: it is a 'galvo' (i.e. a galvanic servo motor), not a galvanometer to me. Actually the same thing, but 'meter' always implies measuring something.

Yes its a laser beam control application. Im going to use a galvo scan head (XY-scanning) and a laser distance sensor to measure size of some pipes.
I think I found out how to control the galvos. Im going to use a Beckhoff controller. I will use triangle waveforme signals as mentioned above and set speed by frequency of signal.