Sequencer versus 5 rung

RichBlunt

I have a lot of experience in PLC programming but have recently worked on some equipment that utilizes or "favors" sequencers over 5 rung logic.

I don't know the history but is it a "European" thing to use sequencers more than North American?

I like the sequencers but I don't really like any templates I have seen yet, and the problem of recovery seems to be a plague on sequencer type logic.

clarify, mostly program equipment that welds frames/engine cradles/sheet metal.

Anyone have some relevant points on the S7Graph software? First time using it, being an AB guy I just find it hideous to look at, other than that is seems pretty sweet.

*by 5 rung I mean usually it is an rung for Auto, rung for Clear/crash conditions, rung for Command, rung for "real" output, rung for complete(can include fault timer)*

Last edited:
I mostly use sequencers and find fault finding a lot easier using this. if the application is some sequence of events ofcourse. Have found some programs which incorrectly used grafcet or sfc charts for non-sequence machinary, and doesnt work so nicely. certain languages for certain applications.
what do you mean by problem of recovery?