mitsubishi fxon-24es

rustysmith52

Hello,first time to post. I have a surplus mitsubishi fxon-24 es plc and I'm wondering if it will do what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to make a simple control for my hot tub. I have three pushbutton switches for inputs and three relays for a pump, blower, and a light for outputs. I also need a timer output for the pump for filter cycles. If anyone knows if this plc will do this, please let me know, Then I'll probably have more questions.
Thanks

The PLC is more then capable.

But, do you have the comm cable and software?

Without those your not going to get very far.

I found a link to make a cable and I have downloaded gx developer. Do you know if rslogix will talk to this mitsubishi? Does it take 24 volts to turn the inputs on and off? I'll probably have a gillion more questions after I make the cable and make sure it talks to it

Thanks

All FX range have a built in 24v power, this can be used for the inputs (and possibly outputs but is limited to a few hundred ma). also link 0v to ss (common of the input terminals the 24v output will power a few sensors etc.
It will not talk directly to an Ab but you could buy a 232BD board that fits on the brick, this will send & rx aschii data from/to D memory in the plc.

I'm fairly certain that RS Logix cannot program a Mitsi processor. You should go to MEAU.com and find the programming manual for that processor as well as the hardware manual. There have been posts here about making your own cable. Do a search and see if it is possible. I would also say that you need to use interposing relays for the outputs as the plc output relays are really not designed to carry that type of load.

Good luck.

so I tie 0v and ss together, send 24v out from the plc to a switch and back to one of the input terminals (x1 for example). This should turn input x1 on right? I have some small 24v solidstate relays that I will use between the plc and the pump relays. I also have an external 24v power supply. I'm going to try and make my cable tonite or tomorrow.

Thanks for the drawing, It's raining here today so maybe I'll have time to attempt to make the cable. Another quick question or two. Will this plc read an analog input such as 4-20 ma from a temperature transmitter and can I communicate with this plc remotely from a pc with a cable of some sort.

you can read analog inputs there are a number of cards availlable but no on-board analogs.
FX2N-4AD (0-20 4-20 or 0-10v) or FX2n-4AD-PT (for PT100)
Etc.
These use the to/from instruction to get or send parameters/data you will need to read the manuals availlable at mitsubishi website.
When you mean connect pc to plc you will be able to using the correct 232 to 422 converter & GX dev or iec dev, if you mean with some kind of scada/VB then then it depends on the driver you wish to use i.e. prog port protocol then you will need some kind of app developed for the mitsi protocol or if using a 232-BD board fitted on the plc then you could use VB & transfer data as asccii.

if you are making cable, make sure to check the datasheets of the ICs. that diagram only shows signal flow, charge pump and decoupling capacitors etc are not shown. (this was common representation for digital circuits for example, where decoupling was assumed as known fact)

You may be better off putting that PLC on e-bay and buying yourself an Arduino (google it) or a stamp chip.

You can get a good Arduino setup, with software for your PC, for around $100.

It is a much better platform to experiment with and will cause you less headaches then the industrial PLC that you have now.

That is unless you are using this opportunity to learn PLCs.

If that is the case, I would still sell that PLC and go buy an Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1100 for which AB now provides free software.

The AB knowledge is going to get you farther in today's employment market.

Okay, I assembled the cable, installed GX developer v.8 FX. I can talk to the plc. Anybody know of a good entry level manual on gx dev. and programming in general? It seems a little user unfriendly to me, although I don't have a lot of experience in programming. For now I only need a few inputs (normally open contacts) and a few outputs (small 24v interposing relays)and some timers. Can a program be built on one of the free simulators on the web and then converted to gx dev.? Any help would be appreciated.

I have a programming manual for the FX series (pdf form) but it runs 6.8mb if you're interested. The FX0N-24ES is all 24vdc I/O so you will need interposing relays on the outputs. If you use an external 24vdc power supply, DON'T tie the +24vdc on the PLC (it's 24vdc supply) to the external 24vdc supply. It will blow the internal fuse in the PLC...
I also have hardware manuals for the FX series.

fxon manual

Thanks for the offer, I'm sure I could use it although I may alresdy have it. I've downloaded quite a bit of info from the mitsubishi website. Nothing on just the fxon and its all pretty criptic. Will 12 vdc work through the outputs, thats what I have for interposing relays. Also, I'm having a problem understanding how to program OR statements. The pump is controlled by 3 different inputs, on/off switch, filter timer, and heater going to one output. I'll have more later when I get better at programimg. I have attached a copy of the program so if you get a chance, you could show me one example of an OR statement.

Thanks for your help

Rusty