Monitor OMRON PLC with iPhone

carbonat

I need to monitor a small process remotely, and I want to use an iPhone. Googling it I came across an app called ScadaMobile (http://www.sweetwilliamautomation.com) that seems to do all I need, but apparently it is not available yet. Do you know of other available or similar iPhone apps for that purpose?. I don't need anything over complicated, just a simple way to monitor some DM over a mobile network. Thank you in advance.

Hello,

PeakHMI has a built in web server. It is 100% HTML and any web browser can view and change tags, view screen snapshots, etc.

I know the iPhone can view the pages.

Good luck,

Mark
http://www.peakhmi.com/

P.S. PeakHMI can also send email/SMS notifications.

Last edited:
Exactly. Look for a web server and then use your phone to browse the web page. I use Rockwell's EWEB module for browsing to data on my ControlLogix and it works fine.

OG

Thank you for your replies. It seems that virtually any solution out in the market for remote access makes use of a Web server to provide the data tags to internet browsers. PeakHMI does just that. I don't want to put a dedicated PC on the PLC site if I can avoid it. Not that I dislike it but I am looking for a more straightforward solution, if available.

I just have a CJ1 omron PLC which I want to access through the mobile phone network, in the most direct way if possible. (It is a mini hydro plant which does not have a PC on site).

I looked again at ScadaMobile and it seems to do it all, no nothing between the phone and the PLC, except probably an ADSL or GPRS router. The interface is of an iPhone native app so it does not go through a WEB server either. The developers provide a link to a Google Group which states that the app will be released next month. So, I may give it a try when it is released if I don't find anything else in the mean time. More suggestions are appreciated though.

Are you looking for something with a Cell modem type remote connection that serves up a Web Page? Or do you have Internet connectivity at the site?

Joe_WaZoo

Are you looking for something with a Cell modem type remote connection that serves up a Web Page? Or do you have Internet connectivity at the site?

Joe_WaZoo
I do have internet connectivity at the site and an GPRS router configured with NAT and a dyndns account since we have a dynamic IP in the site. We use this configuration to reach to the PLC remotely with CX-Programmer, but we do not have anything in place which is able to serve web pages. The idea is to use the existing infrastructure, if possible, this is why I looked at ScadaMobile.

Hello Carbonat

Our app ScadaMobile for remote monitoring of Omron PLCs using the iPhone platform is already available for sale in the App Store.

Performance is much better than any Web based solution and responsiveness is excellent. User experience is therefore better than any current web based system. I can be used as a standalone solution or as a complement to existing remote access servers and it is extremely easy to set up by only exporting a file from the PLC programming tool and importing it back to the iPhone.

I encourage you to visit our new web site at http://www.sweetwilliamautomation.com for further information.

We already have an experience on a practical case very similar to what you are looking for. Our site now supports discussion forums so feel free to use them or contact us for any inquiry.

Best regards,

Joan Lluch
SweetWilliam, S.L. team