oil well drilling

eng.h

hi every one...
i dont know if u are familiar with what iam going to say ,,but iam going toask any way ....
iwant to know the using of plc in the oil well drilling ...if u dont know what imean or dont even know the answer ...then iwant any application for the plc in the oil industry ...

A PLC is a tool. It is not linked to a specific industry, nor specific functions within an industry.

The hardest, yet most important, part of any automation project is to DEFINE your system. Can you document how your system is to function? How does it start? How does it stop? What should it do in the case of a failure? How does the operator interact with it? What does it do next? ... If you can answer questions like this, it can be automated with a PLC. It doesn't matter if it's oil-field, making light bulbs, or assembling automobiles.

Are PLCs being used in oil well drilling? Absolutely! Where? I have absolutely no clue...

504bloke
thank u.

ozee
thank u ....
i know what plc is but since u asked about the definetion and the function
u see this is my proplem iknow how it works generaly not in details ..
iwanted asystem uses plc that is in oil industry so i asked ageologist so he told me about the well drilling
but not in details so igoogle it but all ifound is it works in general .
oh,, iwanted asystem in oil industry because i like this feild ...
since u seem to be knowing what u are talking about ihoped u could give me advise about another system not in the oil industry any field u want.
the proplem is all icould think of is simple systems like convior ,drilling ,water tank ,filling mashine in factories , elevators and this kind of things and ihate these systems.

Last edited:
I have a clue

This is one of the most interesting applications.
http://www.ironderrickman.com/
This is truly a robotics application.

There are all sorts of pipe handling applications. Pipe torquing etc.

The oil companies have certifications that go beyond CE, CSA and UL. Getting electronics to work in deserts, sub freezing cold, salty sea air and around explosive fumes is the challenge.

Peter Nachtwey
thanks for your replay ...
from the site u gave me about the Iron Derrickman do u mean this is the only part of the oil well drilling that is include plc or what u said about the pipe handling and torquing is also application in the oil drilling .
i hope u coud tell and give me more information about it ,,iwill be very thankfull if u could answer me ..
thanku for site ..

Here in the gulf of Mexico we use PLC's for control of the production platforms (these are operating oil wells) Drilling rigs just bore the holes in the ground. Plc's control the speed of pumps, the opening and closing of valves and bypassing and annunciation of alarms. PLC's also control the Natural gas generators that supply power to the pumping equipment. We also use them to monitor filter media using particle counter equipment. There are a lot of PID's as well as your standard digital stuff.
If your in Iraq you're looking at a good ground floor opportunity with getting into some of the oil companies preparing to exploit Iraq's resources. You are about to become the 4th largest supplier of oil to the world. You guys have a pretty bright future ahead.
Good luck.

Regarding different applications of PLCs, checkout where your oil is going to (process automation) or how it is transported from oilwell to FPO and FPSOs... Think vessel propulsions, pumps and so on... On our pipelay vessels we have really hundreds of different control systems going on, some standard equipment most of them however are specially "custom" build...