Allen Bradley 1747-L40E comm. port

ckchew666

Dear Sir/Madam,

1) Can anyone please let me know what is the communication port & software available with 1747-L40E AB SLC?

2) I treid to browse thru the manual found out that DH-485 is one of them, but this port can't send command or do networking? Am i right?

Regards,
CK Chew

I am not sure what you mean exactly.

The L40e should have a DH485 port that works same as any AB product with DH485..yes it can be networked. It can send messages (MSG) over that network

The software is RSLogix500.

These models can also use modules/adapters to work with RS232.

The manual
http://www.ab.com/manuals/cp/1747621.pdf

To initiate a MSG you need 5/02 or greater

rsdoran said:
It can send messages (MSG) over that network

Last I knew, the SLC500 (brick) and SLC 5/01 could not message (MSG). They can be read (via MSG) from another PLC on the network and written to from another PLC on the network but they cannot initiate a message (read or write) themselves.

To answer the original question:
Yes they can be networked (DH-485), and yes they can be written to and read from BUT they cannot initiate the messaging. All reads/writes have to be initiated by another PLC on the network.

By the way, read up on the 1747-AIC (isolated link coupler). The AIC is a device that will allow electrical isolation for the network and PLC and also has an additional port, so you don't have to un-plug the network connection everytime you need to go online with the SLC.

Yes, actually the 1747-PIC is the cheaper of your options.

AB makes a PCMK card which is a PCMCIA card for laptops that will allow communications on DH+ as well as DH-485 networks. There are also PCI and ISA cards for desktop PC's that allow the same communications options as well.

93lt1 said:
Yes, actually the 1747-PIC is the cheaper of your options.

AB makes a PCMK card which is a PCMCIA card for laptops that will allow communications on DH+ as well as DH-485 networks. There are also PCI and ISA cards for desktop PC's that allow the same communications options as well.

If money is not the factor, then 1784-PCMK + 1784-PCM4 is the choice (cost my notebook!!). The one using PCI & ISA slot, what is the part number? Anyone, please... thanks

It is known as a "KT" card

Something like 1784-PKTX ... for the PCI slot

There are different types; there is a dual card that will let you talk DH-485 and DH+ if you have both of these networks (1784-PKTD)

Just a note on the brick mentioned above... somewhere in an AB manual I read that they can only communicate to 2 nodes max. at a time... So for example, if are online to a brick and more than one other PLC or Panelview is trying to access that same brick, you will have comms problems.

also the 1747-PIC will not work through one of those new USB-to-serial adapters ... your computer must have a real old-fashioned serial port ...

I guess this is a good opportunity to revisit the old USB/ DH-485 issue.

A-B is taking stock orders for the 1747-UIC ! It will use the regular DF1 driver in RSLinx and allow you access to DH485 networks both with RS485 (the Aux port on a 1747-AIC) or vis RS232 (the 9-pin or 8-pin ports on a 1761-NET-AIC).

I've been told that shipping will start in mid-October. I'll let the Forum know how it works when I get mine !

Ken-
Isn't there some kind of USB PIC type thing? I thought I remembered talk around here of such a device.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about it yet. I still have a COM port on my laptop.

BTW,

I heard about that USB convertor also, How much it's selling?

What's the diff bet. DH-485(AB) and RS-485? Anyone can explain a bit?