Opening Siemens S5 Backup Program (Logic) using Simatic Step5 V7.23

riyajahamad

Dear PLC Experts,
I am trying restore program in Siemens S5 115U CPU 945.I have backup of program unable to open with STEP 5 V7.23. I tried with Demo version of S5/S7 Windows (ibhsoftec.de)it successfully opening but during downloading in PLC, is giving "Error: Access Violation at 0X006ECFEF (tried to write to 0x0C060FFC) program terminated."
When I try to open with STEP 5, blocks not getting load giving error of "Block not found".
I am attaching program backup copy.
Is I need to convert to use with latest version of STEP 5?
As I am new to STEP5, is I missing something?
Thanks in advance.
Riyaz,
Pune

I do not think that you can do it with the demo version of IBH you need the real version, I also think that the demo is for only S7 not S5's

I use S5 for Windows but there are others, search this site, not sure if it will work for you but its worth a try....

Do you have Step5 ? its been a long time for me, but others here could tell you how to download using Step 5

S5

Please see attached zip file, please unzip the files and they should then open in your version of S5.
The files are named 31711@??.???
Where ??.??? are the S5 program extensions.

Siemens S5 Backup Program Opening Problem

Thanks to geniusintraining and moggie for prompt reply & support.
geniusintraining : Yes, I have Siemens STEP5, but using first time. Anybody give me steps to load and view the codes (I mean Ladder)
moggie : I unziped file send by you and successfully opened in blocks, Big Thanks :nodi:. What changes you done with my backup ?

Riyaz,
Pune, India.

Last edited:
Just compare the file names I sent with your original file names!
You will see that the files are in the format 31711-1??.?? , 31711-2??.?? etc
I just removed the "-1", "-2" etc

HI Moggie

I also unable to open previous program but it is now possible to open in STEP5 V7.23
Why it is required to change file name.
I did try to remove _ from all file names but it didn't work and in your case you removed _1 _2
and it works.

Regards

Step5 expects to see the file names in the following format
xxxxxx??.???
Where xxxxxx = the file name and ??.??? is the S5 file "extensions".
The file name needs to be exactly 6 long, if your file name is only 4 or 5 then you need to add @ to "pad" out the file name to 6 long!
xxxxxxST.S5D = Program file
xxxxxxXR.INI = cross reference file
xxxxxxZ0.INI = Symbols file
xxxxxxZ0.SEQ = Sequential File
xxxxxxF2.INI = Footer file
xxxxxxAP.INI = Path File
xxxxxxDR.INI = Printer File
There are some others I cannot remember.