Ez Rj45 Crimping System

I'm all for any type of EZ type tool, anything to make the job more efficient is always a plus. However, it is in my nature to learn how to do things the "hard way."
If your new at this stuff, I would recommend getting a standard crimper from Radio Shack or Home Depot, as that's what you're going to have to be proficient at when you're off-site somewhere at 2am in the the morning. Another problem is you need the EZ RJ45 connectors. Standard connectors are likely cheaper and more readily available, again, at 2am in the morning.
I use a few crimpers, a G.B., an Ideal and the one at work that has the labels worn off. The "best ones" are the ones that are broken in. Tiger Direct and Cyberguys have some nice networking tool kits you may want to look into as well.

Last edited:
I use the Ideal brand crimpers. I like the idea of the ez crimp, however it still requires you to guide the leads into the correct slot which is most of my battles. Standard crimpers do have a sleeve blade to insure you only cut back enough for the connector. At $150 for the crimpers how much time do you actually save compared to a pair Ideal crimpers at $60 at Home Depot. I don't do network cable runs for a living so these have been fine for me. Just my two cents.

Use it and love it! I use the Platinum brand and It works very well. My hands hurt when I work with the standard fittings and with the EZ crimp fittings you can strip back 6" and they feed in fairly easy.

Kevin

How do you make cables on long runs.We have machines that have 10-15 cabinets some 100-400 feet apart.

To the best of my knowledge you can't purchase premade cables this long.

We run normal CAT5/CAT6, and always terminate the cables to either patch-panels, or individual RJ45 Female receptacles. All patch panels or receptacles are the standard .110 punch-down type. Then we run a short pre-made patch cord.

A bit more work? yep. But at 10 or more times the reliability of terminating any cable directly into an RJ45 plug, and considering the huge number of Ethernet connections here, reliability is paramount.

Rdrast

Are there din rail mount/type of ethernet receptacles?

Is this what you are using receptacle inside your panel?

This does sound like a better way.

This one from Phoenix Contact looks particularly neat.
It would fit into the regular terminal strip so that the ethernet cables are terminated like any other regular cable.

I havent used it despite considering it. Would like to get a price for it. Btw the Siemens connector costs approx 12 Euro per unit.

30364_1000_int_04.jpeg

We run normal CAT5/CAT6, and always terminate the cables to either patch-panels, or individual RJ45 Female receptacles. All patch panels or receptacles are the standard .110 punch-down type. Then we run a short pre-made patch cord.

A bit more work? yep. But at 10 or more times the reliability of terminating any cable directly into an RJ45 plug, and considering the huge number of Ethernet connections here, reliability is paramount.

This is a great way of doing it. I wish I would have done more like this. Originally, I just had the tech make a cable and crimp the ends on it. Now, I usually go to a connector receptacle (like for a telephone) and it is much more reliable.

Now I need to find a good cable with the snagless end. I don't like the little rubber cover, I still break off that little connector.