Ultrasonics:)

theripley

Hi :)

Have anyone tried using an ultrasonic sensor (for detecting the water height) in a material bathing/ cleaning bin (with deionized water & soap) that uses ultrasonic wave, creating fine forces on the water (solution), therefore, eliminating stain on the material?

My concern is that there may be interference cause by using an ultrasonic sensor to a solution bath that uses ultrasonic wave as well..

If my desccription wasn't clear, kindly comment..I will try to expand it as possible..

Best regards,
theripley

Depending on the frequency and filtering used in your Ultrasonic sensor there is definitely the possibility of interference. Have you got any specifications of the Ultrasonic cleaning bath and the sensors you intend to use?

Have you got any specifications of the Ultrasonic cleaning bath and the sensors you intend to use?

Hi Sir,

I only got the specifications of the sensors to be used, but the cleaning bath, i do not have..The datasheet of the sensor says - resistance to vibrations: 10 to 55 Hz, horizontal amplitude: 2 hrs. each in the X, Y, Z axis.

Can i use floatswitch instead of the expensive ultrasonic sensor? The bath is approximately 400 L x 300 W x 150 H (in mm)..i only need to detect water height..would there be any problem if i use a float switch on a deionized water w/ soap solution?
What is the usual water height detector on an ultrasonic cleaning bath?

Best regards,
theripley

If you simply require a digital signal (at level/not at level), the bath solution is not harmful to the switch, nor will the switch's contact with the solution cause contamination; then I don't see an issue with using a float switch. It is however a mechanical switch, therefore running the risk of failure if it experiences a high number of operations over a short time.

There are many magnetic, inductive and capacitive liquid level sensors on the market. Alternatively, since your solution is predominantly water, you could even look at a simple 2 prong conductive level sensor.

There are many magnetic, inductive and capacitive liquid level sensors on the market. Alternatively, since your solution is predominantly water, you could even look at a simple 2 prong conductive level sensor.

Sir,
on this application, we are considering 4 options:
1.) fiber optic sensor - can be use but very expensive
2.) ultrasonic sensor - less expensive but have probability of
interference.
3.) float switch - can be use but fear of mechanical switching
failure.
4.) pressure switch - can be use but client decline because of
holing prohibition on the cleaning bin.
I believe the magnetic, capacitive & inductive sensor, are sensors mounted on a pipe going to the bin (kindly correct me if i am wrong)..on this application, there is no pipe, a solenoid valve will directly supply solution to the cleaning bin when the level is low & cut-off when the level is high. (imagine a bin placed directly below the running faucet, it is somehow like that)..

Depending on the frequency and filtering used in your Ultrasonic sensor there is definitely the possibility of interference.

Sir,
When can a sound wave interfere with another sound wave?
If two soundwaves go againsts each other (one from the sensor, the other from the cleaning bin) but using different frequency, does that mean they cannot interfere each other?

Best regards,
theripley:)

You could put the ultrasonic sensor inside a pipe. The pipe would be mounted from the top of the bath down to almost the bottom, so the liquid would be free to enter and leave the pipe. A still well. This would prevent any interference and would also not hole the bath.

You could put the ultrasonic sensor inside a pipe. The pipe would be mounted from the top of the bath down to almost the bottom, so the liquid would be free to enter and leave the pipe. A still well. This would prevent any interference and would also not hole the bath.

Sir,
Is this what you mean?

Best regards,
theripley:)

Drawing1-Model.jpg

I'm not sure if I misunderstood you, but from the drawing, it seems like a capacitive sensor would be your best option. Ultrasonics is a slightly expensive solution for this. We use a capacitive sensor on a similar installation, and it works very well. The only trick is obviously building the bracket to the correct level and setting the sensitivity. If it is a closed tank however, this would not work.

Back
Top Bottom