S5 ???

RobD

I have a minor problem - well biggish problem. Can anyone remind me how to view an active ladder programme on S5 plc. I am using Step 5. and want to view the states of some inputs and outputs(all digital). I am online with the plc but can not remember how to view my ladder programme.

Regards

Rob

At the top of the screen, click on test and then select "block status".

Type in the block you want and your in.

I am assuming you have communication setup.

Last edited:
I do have comms set up - with the processor on line. I have tried as you have explained and I immediately go to the block I want but without the signal states (ie 1 or 0 ). I get a message "Exit Status" with yes/no selection. If I select no I get the message "Identifier in IF unknown".

Can you please provide further assistance.

Regards

Rob

What version software do you have?
What type cpu?

If you do not have to actually see the program, under the same menu as block status you could select status variable.

Using this you can type in the byte or word address and monitor in whatever format you prefer:

KM = Binary bit pattern
KH = Hexadecimal
KF = Fixed point decimal
KY = Byte decimal two unsigned values separated with a comma
KB = Byte decimal one unsigned value
KG = Floating point

As for the error message, the type cpu and software version would help.

Last edited:
This sounds to me that the PLC is not talking the same language as the software, well we know that ain't so!

Lets go through this one step at a time:-

In the Project, Settings tab, you have selected 'ON-LINE' and the sofware found the PLC alright?

You then select 'Block Status' and you select a block from the list availiable (in the PLC program) or do you just type in a block that is supposed to be in the PLC i.e PB1?

Then when you enter this, you are asked if you would like to exit status and when you select no, the error message appears and you are bombed out of block status.

I have never come across the error message that you have posted, but I have had a few messages come up when trying to view online status. The way that I have managed to get around them is by coming out of 'block status', unplug the interface lead from the PLC, plug it back in and try again. This method usually works for me, so it might be worth a go.

We use the comm 1 port on our PC's for comms and on one or two occasions I have had to delete the comms port in Windows system manager (win 98) and then let windows re-detect the port and re-install the driver.

as Mike states, the version number and OS, and CPU type might mean that we can be of more assistance, rather than just plucking ideas out of the air.

Paul

I seem to remember that there were two versions of the step 5 software.

One version was the full version that would allow you to go online to any of the S5 PLC's.

The other version was limited to the 90; 95; 100 and some of the 115 S5 PLC's

The software did not tell you that it was the "mini version" if you tried to connect to the 135 or 155; it just would not connect!!!!!

Please post the version of software and the CPU that you are trying to connect to.

Last edited:
Could it be Focus-problem? There could be lighted some button, but when yo click Enter it do something else.
If, put Mouse-focus to button and click by mouse (left) button.

If you're working with a cpu with two serial ports: only the serial interface 1, SI1, the deep one, has the state function. the SI2 port doesn't show the state.

Back
Top Bottom