HiProm Profibus-PA: CLX to 1788HP-EN2PA

theDave2

I have the 1788HP-EN2PA connected to CLX processor. Well, it works but I can get only one instrument (E-H pressure transmitter, Cerabar-M) to 'talk' to it, but the data is garbage.

I have also an E-H temperature transmitter (TMT-84) and it shows on the bus but it doesn't show as active in the PLC.

Real Soon, I'll have to get 2 more instruments talking.

Does anyone have any experience with the HIProm / CLX ? I have to ship this Very Very Soon (1 week) and I'll pay for assistance from anyone that has used this before and can tell me how to configure the parameters and interpret the date in the CLX.

Please don't suggest a different gateway. The customer has me using this.

Thanks,
Dave

hints and recollections

I have used this a little bit.

As you have seen, the 1788HP-EN2PA emulates a ControlLogix 1756-ENBT and a 17-slot chassis. Each device on the Profibus PA link behaves like a module in that chassis.

There is a configurator program from HiProm that sets up the Profibus side. In RSLogix 5000 you have to enter a lot of Generic Module stuff.

Do you have the HiProm configurator ?

Carefully watch the scrolling LED display. Don't try to correlate the top and bottom lines; they are independent. Just watch what each line says, left to right.

The 1788HP-EN2PA itself you configure as a generic Ethernet Bridge.

When you configure a device in a "slot", you define it as a Generic Module, which is where you have to define the Assembly Instances for the Input, Output, and Configuration assemblies.

For the 1788HP-EN2PA itself, you configure it as Slot 1 with a connection type of Data - DINT.

Input Assembly Instance = 65, size 4 (32-bit)
Output Assembly Instance = 66, size 1 (32-bit)
Input Assembly Instance = 68, size 4 (8-bit)

For a device like a Cerabar-S, you configure them starting with Slot 2, with a connection type of Data - DINT.

Input Assembly Instance = 65, size 26 (32-bit)
Output Assembly Instance = 66, size 10 (32-bit)
Input Assembly Instance = 68, size 50 (8-bit)

I used an RPI of 150 milliseconds for each Module connection. I can't remember where I got those module assembly sizes for the device; maybe from an RA technote.

It's coming back to me... I got an example program from HiProm and you just had to choose manually whether to copy the DINT array in the Input image to a DINT tag array or a REAL tag array.

The Generic Module data connection will always be represented as DINTs, even if the data inside is encoding a REAL. The COP and CPS instructions can move that data bit-by-bit so you can translate between a "REAL carried inside a DINT over a network" into an actual REAL datatype tag.

Thanks Ken, I had done all that and am at the point of making sense of the data for the Pressure. My best guess now is to COP the DINTs to a REAL.

The other problem is that I have the Temperature Transmitter showing up as 'Not Ready', 'Not Configured'. 'No Parameter Data' & 'Parameters Required', all in red in the HiProm software and showing the triangle in Logix. But I have no clue on how/where to configure parameters. Guess I'll have to call E-H.