120VAC Filter burned

Joel Mancilla

Hi All,

Just want to make sure it will not burned again.

We have a equipment called inspection camera it bad product and kick it by compressed air. The system is basically a normal computer. My problem was since the machine is idle I made a wire harness on it (main power supply, vdc wires and serial connectors). When I turned it on the equipment the smoke came out from the panel board I immediately turn off the main supply. After checking I found that the 125VAC filter/supperssor is burned, the output of the filter is going to computer power supply (24VDC & 5VDC) and another power supply for some output interface (solenoid valves).

Now my question is what are the normal causes of this? I have check the input and output connection to ground but I cant find grounded. I have another unit but I'm afraid to install it. Please help what need to be checked....

The filter is
KLEEN LINE
SELF/T-20
120VAC, 20A
58,500 surge amp

Many thanks in advance
Joel

Hi keithkyll,

Thanks for your reply..

I aready checked the wirings No error, I diconnected the loads and read the voltage (115VAC). The hot wire and a neutral wire is also correct. I installed the other filter spare same result.

Anyone please I need assistance.

Thanks...

If you burned the filter then you have a short. It's as simple as that. Also, the fusing on the primary side is too large. The filter is acting like a fuse. Inside the filter is 2 coils and some caps. Nothing magical.
Check your wiring again. It was working until you rewired it?

Last edited:
filters contain coils and capacitors. usually schematic is printed right on it. if you exceed voltage, capacitors blow up. if you exceed current, coils melt.

Just like you said, if you pick the wrong type as in voltage ratings for what you say it happens. Since the harness was made while the unit was running & then attach the new harness don't you think that could happen by picking the wrong filter???

Are there extreme noises or spikes in the incoming AC supply ?

I once experienced problems due to noise and spikes in the incoming supply. I installed a large 3-phase filter with over-voltage protection to counter this. It worked wonderfully - for approximately 5 minutes - then it exploded with a huge *BANG*. It turned out that there was so much energy in the noise and spikes that the over-voltage varistors melted - and caused or short circuit.

o_OPut it back the way it was before o_Oyou replaced it w/the new harness, and check point per point how it was wired originally!!!!!!!!🍺

Last edited: