powerflex 400 control with profibus

Engineer1

Hi All,
Please assist, we have a number of powerflex 400 drives, which intermittently have Comm Loss (F81) error, this occurs at random and the manual is not so useful as the adapter is not disconnected not is the wiring loose, and the timeout of 5sec sounds sufficient.

anyone have any idea what the issue might be? Allen Bradley have not replied. And the site is considering pulling the plug on Profibus and hard wiring all signals as they beleive that this issue is related to Profibus.

I do not beleive this to be the case, and right now am not a fan of Allen Bradley, sometimes the adapter flashes red on MOD, which also indicates Comm Loss on the adapter side, but these two faults do not occur at the same time, hence sometimes the Comm Loss is on the drive side and sometimes its on the adapter side.

changing adapters has not had an effect.
we are currently changing the connection belts, and the manual states... "replace port expander", i have no idea what that is!

please, someone assist.

How many devices on profibus ?
What baud rate are you running ?
Terminators on at the ends ?
What is the wire distance?
Check connections? Is the shield connected to ground in the connector?
Cable away from motor leads etc ?

I have audited the network, the scope is fine, and all devices are happily in data exchange! baud rate is 1.5Mb, terminations and the works are fine.

I am convinced the issue is with the HMI, since tracing the comm loss error leads to DSI port connection, and if i am correct, the DSI port is the HMI port and has nothing to do with the profibus adapter!

Anyone had any problems with Allan Bradley HMI's, i have asked the guys to just pull out the RJ45 cables, and monitor, either its the HMI, or RJ45 cable or the fact that the drive has 2 ports, and only one should be in use, i am not sure what impact it has if one leaves a port open and not plugged.

But the search is away from profibus and more towards the RJ45 connections for the HMI.

I have no idea of your problem but the 400 series is a DSI adaptor that I think has a slower interface into the drive than the 70/700 series which uses a DPI adaptor.
Also from memory DSI-1 is the Him port and I think DSI-5 is the profibus port, so when the error suggests a DSI port it can be any port.
I may be wrong on any aor all the above info.
Regards Alan Case

We have since removed the HMI connection, and hence using just one DSI connection, the network adapter, no problems for 24hrs, but its still early days.

noticed that the RS485 (DSI) shield was not wired, could this be the issue? We plan on wiring the shield and then connecting the HMI again and monitor.