Need Help with Remote Pumping Station Communication Config.

tranh2

Hi,

A brief background info, I’m currently working on a wastewater project where there is a main SCADA monitoring building and 6 remote pumping stations. Each remote pumping station has 2 pumps and currently has a Microsystems ScadaPack (PLC) and a Microsystems 5902 Modem connected to a leased phone line that communicates the ScadaPack info back to the monitoring station. At the monitoring stations they are using GE iFix for the SCADA package. See Diagram 1.

What our client wants to do now is upgrade the Scadapack to an AB CompactLogix (L32E) but still retain the use of the Microsystems 5902 Modem. To have the modem communicate to the CompactLogix they decided to use a Prosoft MVI69-MCM modbus module which will interface the CompactLogix with the 5902 modem. The problem is this is the first time they are setting this configuration up and they’ve never tested this before. Someone told them that it “should” work. I’ve never seen this setup myself so I’m uncomfortable with this config. myself. In discussing with the client, they are open to other configurations and getting rid of the 5902 modem altogether. They are also in discussions with the local phone company about upgrading the phone lines. I’m assuming the upgrade is to DSL lines, but I’ll have to confirm this. See diagram 2.

So my questions is, has anyone seen the Prosoft configuration before and knows how to set it up to communicate with the CompactLogix and send data over the leased line to the IFix SCADA system?

If not, is there another setup you guys can suggest that will work for remote site monitoring and data acquisition? The only condition is using the CompactLogix. I’ve researched on Google and noticed a lot of wireless applications for this sort of thing. That option might be a last resort but I’d like to see other options before we suggest this one. I’ve been told that if the line is upgraded to a DSL line, we can get a module that can connect to a DSL modem and have a VPN to the SCADA system. Is that possible?

Also, there is a GE Quickpanel at the remote sites that needs to be connected as well.

Thanks.

Diagram 1.JPG Diagram 2.JPG

Thanks for the referral Lancie.

The system we are currently developing is web-based. We provide an industrial PC at each pumpstation. We program that PC to generate a web page and display, ON that web page the information required by the customer. The PC communicates with the PLC at all times, but with the customer only when he accesses the web page. It's protected by multiple passwords of course.

There are many other features: Cell phone/text/Email notification of alarm conditions. Manages a contact database so you can select who gets notified easily. Generates reports based on data the customer wants.....

The BAD news is that Currently we are only set up for IDEC PLCs. We developed this system as a tool to monitor the pump stations WE sell. I suppose we could adapt it to other systems but that wasn't the intent.

It's a different approach though, and one that you may want to consider.

Stationmaster