String as variable in RSView SE Parameter?

plaurent

I would like to use a string (instead of a tag name) as a parameter in an RSView SE parameter file. As an example:

#100="MAIN"

I've tried permutations of this (with ", with '', plain), and can't seem to get this to work. Am I trying something that isn't allowed in a parameter file?

Many thanks in advance for your time.

You can do it, leave the " off it, and for whatever is going to reference that parameter make sure it is set to Literal string.

I would like to use a string (instead of a tag name) as a parameter in an RSView SE parameter file. As an example:

#100="MAIN"

I've tried permutations of this (with ", with '', plain), and can't seem to get this to work. Am I trying something that isn't allowed in a parameter file?

Many thanks in advance for your time.
You have to create a string tag in your plc, and write down in that tag the characters you want.
So when using the parameter, what you will see is what was writen in that string tag.

Encouraging, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'literal string'. I've tried many permutations with the String Display, and have not had any success with the method.

AS an example
Code:
#1=Creep
#2=Slow
#3=Fast
#4={blank_string}
#5={blank_string}
#6={PLC.gmhand.c351}
#7={PLC.gmhand.c352}
#8={PLC.gmhand.c353}
#9=dummy
#10=dummy

and on the window where I want to reference one of those 1-5 as a string, i use this format
Code:
/*LS:0 #1*/
note the L in there? That tells it to treat it literally.

note, doing it this way you can't use spaces in your strings unless you use a non-printable space character like alt-0160

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the help. It appears that my version (4) of RSView SE does not support the 'L', so I'll use the example provided by Widelto, using memory HMI tags.

Using memory tags and referencing those is working... it's a bit more work than using Literal Strings (RSView/FactoryView v5 feature), but at v4, that's what you've got to make it work! Thanks for your help.

I was in the same place using RSView ME v4. For my system I created a drive page with clickies to take you to individual drive diagnostics (16 in total). I used parameters to get the trips, drive temp, etc, but I had a hard time getting the drive name (string). I created HMI tags and reference them in the parameters which works.

After reading this since I upgraded to v5 I could change to using literal strings. Nice to learn something.

I know I’m a little late with this post, but here goes.

One trick that I use is to use the Non-Space or Bogus Space character 255 instead of the normal space character 32. You can enter it by holding the alt key and type 255 on the numeric key pad.