job changes

kamau

hi guys
Our factory laid off a number of employee due to economical hardship.i have been working as an instrumentation/controls technician for three years.
currently i have been added responsibility of supervising mechanics and non technical staff in our production department.I have noted that this task is taking much of my time to cater for instruments and controls.please advice me on what step to take.

Pray.

Dealing with people is much more time-consuming than dealing with electronic do-dads. Not to mention, it requires a completely different skill set. Do you have the benefit of being a bit older and wiser than those you supervise?

Best of luck,

Bill

Hourly leaders

What I suggest is to assign some hourly leaders to help you out. Find people who have a good attitude and knowledge of the area they work in. Maybe the company will let you pay them a little more? You do not want your bosses to think you can’t handle the extra responsibility; you want them to think you are being more effective with your time management. Hourly leaders can make easy decisions or come to you for advice which will free up your time from having to go in the production area for every little thing. You could let the leaders know what you need done and they could let the works know. The company would have to make it clear that the hourly leaders have authority over other workers in their area to avoid conflicts. I worked in a plant with hourly leaders which helped free up supervisors. Hope this advice will help you. Let me know if you get to try this and if it is working?

Sincerely:
Maintenance Man.

Masterblaster
Iam only 29 years old and now supervising people who are twice my age.however i have a great advantage in that i have much experience in processing line equipment and production process.

Hourly leader seems to the solution for thi and i will definetly give it a try.I may require 3 such leaders in that i have three main processing areas which are all distance apart but cascaded.thankyou for your idea.

I think as long as you treat the old guys with respect you will gain theirs also. Several times in my career I have worked for a boss half my age. You obviously have the ability or you wouldn't have been given the responsibility.
Good Luck
Roy