Panleview+ and opc server

jschapansky

Today I was tinkering with a panelview program in FactoryTalk View. The program currently just talks to one CLX processor. I wanted to pull a couple values off of a PLC5 we have on ethernet, so instead of sending a message to the CLX then grabbing it with the panelview, I set up a opc server. In FTView Studio, I added a new OPC Data server, called it RSLinx, then selected "hosted on local computer" then drilled down and selected RSLinx OPC Server.

From there I can grab the addresses I want from the PLC5 when in the tag database. Now after compiling the program it runs fine on my computer in FTView Station, but those tags will not show up on the panelview. :unsure: I assume this has something to do with the "hosted on local computer" setting, but I am not sure of any better way to make this work. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Don't use RSLinx classic, it will not function in the Panelview Plus. Just create a new shortcut in RSlinx enterprise pointing to your PLC5, and then your tags should work.

after reading those replies, i realized I lied a bit about my setup. The PLC5 is not directly on ethernet... oops sorry. It is DH+ and on the network VIA a DHRIO card in the CLX. So I am unable to make a shortcut to it as the menu wont drill down past the DHRIO card.

You can add the DH+ module to the PV+ if you really need the data. Then the PV+ can access the PLC-5. You don't lose your current Ethernet setup, you just would gain DH+/DH485/RIO.

OG

...Now after compiling the program it runs fine on my computer in FTView Station, but those tags will not show up on the panelview. :unsure:...

If you were to ever run the application using a runtime version of ME Station on an PC this would be fine as you could install any opc server to provide the communications.

As others have mentioned a PV+ does not have an opc server built into it, therefore you need to use RSLinx Enterprise.

FYI, if you are ever using an emulator for PLC development/testing, setting up a data server as you have done is the easiest way to directly test the HMI application to the PLC emulator.