RsLogix 5000 programming languages

o_OHi to all. I was wondering if I need to learn more than one programming languages for the RsLogix 5000 in which the 4 languages are Function Block Diagram, Sequential Function Chart, Structured Text and Traditional Ladder Logic. I have been learning the traditional ladder logix for the 5000 but wanted to know if there is any reason I would have to learn the others? Thank you for your help in advance.

Sincerely:
Maintenance Man.

They all exist for the controllogix, but the others are "add-on" licenses to your RS5k package.

There are a few things in each of the packages that the others just won't do. But usually, these are just easier ways of doing something that you can do a "hard way" in ladder.

I'm at home now without my work notebook, but if you'll look in the help files, I believe you'll find some of these functions described... maybe...

That is what I am used to

Thank you for replying to my post. I will keep on learning the ladder logix in 5000, because that is what I am used to from RsLogix 500. Have a great day.
Sincerely:
Maintenance Man

You will likely see FBD used more and more. SFC and STX have been around for years in the PLC-5 but they are only used occasionally.

The most basic version (Mini) of RSLogix5000 that allows editing only allows editing of Ladder. As you step up the other languages become available.

OG

Greetings Maintenance Man ...

if you're working in "maintenance" mode, the question really becomes: "What am I going to run into?" ... certainly you need ladder logic - that's a given ...

now then ... if the original programmer also made use of any of the OTHER languages, then you'll need to understand those pieces of the puzzle too ... before you jump into the pool, the best course of action is to ask around and find out exactly what's being used in your plant (or your other areas of responsibility) ...

IF (that's a big IF) you really do need STX (for example), one good way to start getting a handle on it is to take a program with a few simple rungs of ladder logic and convert that program over to STX ... in other words, just make the processor "act the same" whether it's using one language or the other ... sort of like learning to say something simple in English (like "good morning") in Spanish, German, etc. ...

that approach will get you started ...

once you get that far along, post both versions of your program on the forum and we'll help you along the way ...

I enjoy learning.

Thank you all for responding to my post. I enjoy learning and have a great desire to improve my knowledge of RsLogix 5000 PLCs. I will learn what I need, so I can become a valuable employee no matter where I work with PLCs. I think ladder logic is mostly being used with 5000, so I will continue working with it. If I come across other programming languages and really need to learn them, I will if it will benefit me and the company I am working for. Again thank you for all your help, I appreciate it.

Sincerely:
Maintenance Man

SFC Programming using RSLogix5000 Quick Tutorial

o_OHi to all. I was wondering if I need to learn more than one programming languages for the RsLogix 5000 in which the 4 languages are Function Block Diagram, Sequential Function Chart, Structured Text and Traditional Ladder Logic. I have been learning the traditional ladder logix for the 5000 but wanted to know if there is any reason I would have to learn the others? Thank you for your help in advance.

Sincerely:
Maintenance Man.

Hey Maintenance Dude. There is no real reason why you should learn any other language other than ladder unless:

1. An existing program in your company/work is programmed in another language other than ladder.

2. You want to create a new program using something other than ladder just because you feel more comfortable with it.

3. You get annoyed by hundreds of rungs on a large ladder program, in which case you can use other methods such as SFC to make your life easier. Of course this takes practice.

Watch this video: http://youtu.be/q9_xiqnZvNs

Hope this helps!

pdext 👨🏻‍🏫

Last edited: