how can i set up an array

stu

Hi, how can i set up a array, i have a lot of the same ladder logix to write i am under the impression that i could write one sequence of logix in an array and then just change the input/outputs address i am using rslogix 500?

The closest you can come to arrays in RSLogix 500 is by using indirect or indexed addressing. For example, if the value in N7:0 is 5 and I type the address N7:[N7:0] in an instruction, it will refer to N7:5. By controlling the value of N7:0, you can simulate an array. Be careful though... depending on your processor, some instructions don't support indirect addressing.

You have choices, if you what it to be in ladder form, you can write the rung or rungs to be duplicated. Then select the rung/s and export it. When you go back and import the rung/s it give you the option to change the addresses.
Or, you could use indirect addressing to change the addresses.
Or, you use a sequencer and use the decimal value of all your I/O.
Or, something else all together.

True about the processing time, but really for most machines that is not a issue. Indirect saves tons and tons of repetition.
I am guessing that Stu is not doing a machine that needs a fast scan.

Been a long time since I used rslogix 500, so I don't really remember, but, will it do a subroutine? If so, MOV your values into it's input calls, call the subroutine, MOV the results where you want them, do again, do again, etc... I've used this with several different PLC's ...can do a lot of calls with very little processing time overhead.