Long time no see...

Voltimus

Hey guys, I have a question for you....

I'm having battery problems with a CLX 1756-BA2, the problems are, I don't have any more!!!

But it turns out our warehouse has 4 CLX 1756-BA1 types, my question is, can I swap the plug-in assembly to make it work in the BA2 slot? This is a temporary fix, and please keep in mind I'm in Angola, Africa....:ROFLMAO:

Parts might get delivered to us in a month, and until then, whenever the PLC loses power, it loses it's program....:unsure:

I took the info below from the Rockwell Support Pages, Answer ID 36330.

Question
Battery Selection Clarification in Controllogix Selection Guide

Answer
This note is to clarify the compatibility of batteries for 1756-L6x processors as outlined in the Controllogix Selection Guide page 42.

The 1756-BATM, 1756-BATA and 1756-BA1 are for use with 1756-L61 series A, 1756-L62 series A, and 1756-L63 series A processors and are not compatible with any 1756-L6x series B processors.

The 1756-BA2 is required for use with 1756-L61 series B, 1756-L62 series B, and 1756-L63 series B processors and is not compatible with any 1756-L6x series A processors.

Yeah, they're not compatible in terms of the plugs on the end, but, the batteries are the same size and make, I was just curious if anybody had been in a bind and had jury rigged a BA1 to work as a BA2 by swapping the plug ends.....

Of course that's going to be Allen Bradley's stance, as they have a product to protect and sell....

But in terms of voltages and amperage, would anybody know if they are identical?

Even though I sell batteries, due to the CLX sucking them dry in a matter of hours I have installed UPS's every system that I work on... and it's has worked out perfectly, if I need to pull the CPU I install a battery, the original AB batteries and the ones I sell http://fedcoelectronics.com/PLC_battery.tpl have a very long shelf life

Just a thought....

I maybe overlooking the processor model, but don't some of the L6x familes allow you to use a Compact Flash card for backup. I just did a system that gets powered down for 3+ months between runs. It of course always kills the batteries so we added a CF and set it up for read from card on power up. All works well.

I maybe overlooking the processor model, but don't some of the L6x familes allow you to use a Compact Flash card for backup. I just did a system that gets powered down for 3+ months between runs. It of course always kills the batteries so we added a CF and set it up for read from card on power up. All works well.
Yeah, we have the backup flash cards on order, along with some new batteries....

But this is a new platform with new equipment that we're in the middle of commissioning, and as I'm going through this stuff, I'm finding things missing here and there....it kind of goes with the territory when you're building in Korea, getting parts from America and trying to put it all together and work in Africa....

We could order it and it still take us 6 months to get it, especially with Angolan customs....it took me 6 months to get a visa....:cry:

Anyway, guys, thanks again for the advice....