Harsh Temperature PLC's

• Thread starter Charles Lawrence
  • Start date

Charles Lawrence

C
Can any one recomend a PLC for the harsh Canadian climate. It will be used in a automotive application and must handle temp to -40

Thanks
Charles

I recall having delt with a custom PLC manufacturer which was building these monsters for the Timber-Jacks vehicules. Don't remember there names but lookup in the forestry industries.

Look at the Telemecanique TSX Compact offering from Schneider Electric (a new name for the old Modicon line). It has an RTU version with ranges from -40->+70C. I use this family for landfill pumping panels in moderate to severe winter installations, however I include a panel heater for the other components.

One more thing.

Be certain that the specs are OK. Some client will ask for a -40 specs when the temp will never go that low. If the temp really goes to -40 and there is some wind on the panel, you could need an even lower temp spec.

In the end they will be in an argument with you because that the instrument does not work at -40. The specs always call for -40 static temp. The wind will blow away the little heat internally generated, this little heat being the reason why the instrument can operate at -40.

A -40 + wind is more like a -60 !!!!! Its even thrueer if this is in an intrinsicly safe environment. A lot less power on the loops generate a lot less internal heat in every devices connected.

If I can get more detail on your application I might be able to help. I can't think of many applications where you couldn't heat the enclosure for the PLC. A Strip heater mounted in the right place can go a long way.....

Vetteboy
(Northern Alberta)

Low Temperature

GE Fanuc sells a Low Temperature version of their 90-30 PLC.
Check with your local distributor.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

The app is a mobile extender. Which is a repeater system for a two way radio.It will be housed in the trunk of a car and be required to work through out the winter anywhere in Canada. It will control a repeater radio to relay simplex communications back to a remote base. It will also be required to monitor and make sure only one system is running as a repeater at a time even though there may be up to 16 systems in a confined area. I have developed code for the app on a AB 1760 and verified the process runs, may still have to tighten up the timing.
Thanks all for your valued comments and opinions
Charles