RS5000 running slow any ideas

tadams73

I have a system that seems to be running slow.The data on my panel views is lagging behind real time. The actual info is behind about 3 to 4 parts where it always was almost instant.We can stop running parts and the last part info showes up about 2 minutes later.Also I now have a communication card fault that clears itself ever 45 mins to.Last night i hooked up to it using rslinx via an ethernet hub and it took at least 10 minutes for linx to display all my device net nodes. Do I have a plc problem or do I have a comm problem.Thanks

Sounds more like a network problem. You said "Ethernet Hub", is it really a hub? not a switch? If it's a hub, throw it out now. What else is hooked up to this network? If it's anything more then just the PLC and the PanelView, try isolating them from the rest of the network.

Go into Internet Explorer and type the PLC's IP into the address bar.

You will see an interface and one of the options shows you the errors in ethernet traffic.

If you have a large amount of collisions/errors, you may have a speed problem with one of the devices.

Also check the RPI (Request Packet Interval) on all of the ethernet modules (in RSLogix). This shows how often they update their information over the ethernet connection.

Most things do fine with a 60 ms - 100 ms RPI. Unless it is something critical like remote I/O keep that very low, like 1 ms.