Arc Flash Protection Rating

Rob S.

I am trying to get our maintenance staff up to par on some
safety issues ,and I am looking at some Arc Flash Protection
Kits. Could you tell me what the level of protection is between a Level 2 suit and a level 4 .I am trying to find our
NFPA book ,I am sure that describes it well,I just can't find
it.

Thanks and have a good weekend,

Sort of off topic but I have been wondering if welder leathers would meet the requirements for arc flash. I admit they are only exposed to arc power up to say 15 kW but they do it day in and day out.
The other partial justification is the leather gloves over hot gloves but I believe they are mostly to prevent the leather gloves from getting cut.

Dan Bentler

Arc flash clothig is rated in the amount of calorie energy that it can withstand. As long as the gloves meet that same rating, then you can use them. The problem is that welding gloves are not rated that same as arc flash clothing - at least as far as I can see.

In addition, most of the requirements for gloves when operating electrical equipment is that they be rated for the voltage that you will be exposed to. These gloves will offer protection from a shock hazard more than the arc flash.

Last edited:

There is a good discussion on this topic in
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=16623
Bit heavy on war stories but there are a couple good accident reports in there.

Page two of document referanced above
http://www.powersafetypro.com/images/Fast_Facts_on_Arc_Flash_-_APS.pdf
has PPE reqs. In there is leather boots @ > 4 cal/cm2 and leather gloves over rubber.

As mentioned the leather gloves over the rubber are to protect the rubber hot gloves from getting damaged cut scraped etc. I am sure that in case of an arc flash they would provide some protection from UV and blue lite and from the heat and slag.

If leather boots are good then,,,
What I was wondering was if anyone knew if anyone had evaluated welder leather jacket and pants for this exposure.

The other question I had is if the automatic dimming welding hood would suffice for protection.

I am not an expert on this issue but know a little from
1. Working as a generation and distribution electrician on both a submarine and at an utility.
2. Master thesis where I measured UV and blue lite emitted from welding arc (SMAW and TIG) and correlated those values to the allowable exposures.
3. Saw a couple guys who got burned.

Dan Bentler