instrument/electrical test

kirby36

hi,

I am applying to a job which requires a test to be passed. I was told it will be based on electronic and instrumentation. I am not new to the field, however i have never taken a test on instrumentation. I need help on what to exactly study for it.

Hurry!

You may be a little late on preparation for this job, but here is a partial list of things you need to know. Others on this forum will undoubtedly have more to offer.

i have never taken a test on instrumentation. I need help on what to exactly study for it.

1. Bone up on basic sensors, i.e. Thermocouples, RTDs, pressure sensors, load cells, flow meters, etc. Good online sources for finding information so use your favorite search engine.

2. Controllers, basic function, PID, On-Off, and Time proportioning control technique. Input/Output standards such as 4-20ma, 0-10V, frequency. DCS, PLC or single loop.

3. Calibration of equipment: Zero and Span, types of calibration equipment, i.e. current calibrators, RTD and Thermocouple replacers.
Pressure and temperature calibration requirements.

4. Loop tuning manually in case you do not have auto tune and even if you do, what is the best method. Ziegler-Nichols method, trial and error, what is quickest to do.

As I said, this is only a partial list that is on top of my head at the moment, but there are other things to consider.