S5-110a

Handasee

We have a Machine with an S5-110A that has just gone down.
This PLC is obsolete (1985) There is no Port for communications on it.
Siemens web site has no reference to the PLC model. Without the ladder logic, updating the machine with a new PLC will be a real trial and error experience.
My question is, does anyone have experience in how to down load from this PLC?

You will need one of the following devices – PG630, PG631, PG670 or PG675-P0 and the relevant sofware where required. With one of these programmers you will be able to download the software from the EPROM and print the program listing.

In essence you are correct that there is no programming port, one would require the interface module ( 6ES5 500-7AA11 ) . The EPROM would be removed and the plug of the interface module inserted there. The PG interface cable would then be plugged into the interface module.

Hope this is of some help.

Dave

Hello ,
Is it possible to get the details on how you managed to solve this problem. I am interested in a soimilar situation .I have an S5-110A CPU and I need to upload the program to take a printout.
How can I acheive this? Anyone willing to help?
Thanks
Kamath RL

It's been quite some time but I have done this before. I do-or should have access to an old 630 programmer and a homebrew interface to capture the old 20mA printer output. I would have to do some major kissing up to borrow the unit and bring it home. Also you would have to fed-ex the eprom to me. Perhaps you could contact me privately and we can work something out.

As told before, you can print list from PG6?? printer-port out to some pc-receiving program for saving list to ascii-file. Maybe you need CurrentLoop/RS232-'modem'.

Result is program-list code for copy-paste for new PLC-generation as S7 or some else. Anyhow that plc is usually simple and small, so if you have program-list, easyest way is re-write it.
More information from else topics, search S5-110A in this forum.

must i stop the cpu??

Hello.
I have a plc running that contains a s5-110a cpu.
I want to make a backup of the program.
Can i remove the eprom from the cpu with the cpu running or must i stop it??
Does anybody has the manual of this cpu to can send it to me?
Thanks in advance

Good heavens man... stop the cpu! Put a fresh battery in to back-up the RAM then power down. You now can remove the eprom safely. The cpu can run on the RAM (without an eprom) even after a power down if you have a good battery in place. (If the program is very, very large I've been told that the eprom must be in place). If all else fails...call Siemens. They built it.