inverter

Depends on the plc and the inverter. Pick a brand of either, obtain the manuals for each (usually they can be downloaded from a website.

READ THE MANUALS

As Ron said, "Read the Manual"... you're gonna have to sooner or later anyway... so why not sooner?

In general, the inverter (drive) can be controlled by the PLC using one of three schemes:
- Digital Only < ---- TYPICAL
- Digital & Analog < ---- TYPICAL
- Analog Only < ---- Less Common

These are just samples of the possibilities. Your drive might have more or fewer.

Digital Only
The PLC turns ON a bit to enable the drive.
The PLC turns ON a combination of bits to select a pre-programmed speed.
The PLC turns ON a bit to run the drive.
The direction might be selected by bit or hard wired with the Run signal.
There might even be a pair of inputs on the drive to allow you to inc or dec the speed.

Digital & Analog
The PLC turns ON a bit to enable the drive.
The PLC turns ON a bit to run the drive.
The direction might be selected by bit or hard wired with the Run signal.
The PLC controls an analog signal to the drive which is used by the drive for speed and possibly direction information.
There might be a pair of inputs on the drive to allow you to INC or DEC the Reference Point.

Analog Only (this is less common and has problems)
The Drive is turned ON by disconnect, or breaker or whatever.
The PLC controls an analog signal to the drive which is used by the drive for speed and possibly direction information.

Ultimately, the type of control methods available depends on the drive itself. All of that will be indicated in the manual... read it!

In terms of performing the actual control, many strategies are possible. If it provides any at all, the manual can only provide a few of the more common strategies. You might have to develop your own strategy - most programmers do - it depends on the complexity of the situation.

You have to become familiar with the functions that are available on the drive and then let your creative-juices flow!

Last edited:
Yes, what Terry said. If you want to get really creative and want access to the drive's data, you can use a communication setup like profibus, devicenet, ethernet, etc.....

Your options are listed IN THE MANUAL

;)

haj, let's just step back from all the details and think this thru for a minute.

You have this PLC to control your system. You also have this inverter which controls everything about the motor its connected to.

Surely, you will have to tell the motor to start and stop. And, surely, you will have to tell the motor to go fast or slow. Likely, you will have to tell the drive whether to run forward or backward.

That's three signals, two digital and one analog (speed). That should cover your most basic needs.

Now, there are dozens of other things that can be done but you need to think this thru first.

Remember, the drive can also send signals back to your system. For example, most drives have a relay output that will signal when the drive is faulted. Some have a relay that signals when it is running and when it isn't. Most have an analog signal (4-20ma usually) that can signal back how fast its running, how hard the motor is working, how hot the drive is, or many other things.

Again, what do you need to do on this job?

I further option to those above, serial...

Most drives have a RS232 port as do most PLC, check compatablity instruction set on drive and talk out of PLC program port is needed.

HAJ yehia
Please let me know more details about your system what is the series of the inverter which you have and what the series of the PLC.do yoy have all the hardware needed or you have to by somthing.will you control the inverter through serial communication or through digital & analogue I/O's
ThX