Pnuematic, bow:)

theripley

Hi

Does anyone knows the advantages of electro-pneumatic system over purely pneumatic system (if there is)?

Our client has a problem regarding their pneumatic system, cylinders are stuck-up (due to mal-maintenance). They wanted to replace (upgrade) their existing system since their maintenance team is not so familiar with pneumatic system..

I was thinking of replacing it with electro-pneumatic since the application does not need precision. Using a electric motion control system would be expensive for their requirement. I could not seem to find the advantage of electro-pneumatic system over their existing system.

SOS anyone?

Hello!

I think that in an electro-pneumatic system you will use electrical drived valves to control actuating element.If you use a PLC than you must use this types of valves.

Best regards!
Venix

Most electro-pneumatic systems are smaller than the same purely pneumatic systems.

Pure pneumatic systems are used where there is risk of explosion or where environmental situations are not that good for electronical systems (humidity, temperature,...).

Kind regards,

What is meant by Electro-pneumatic? Are you talking about replacing pneumatic logic with a PLC or are you talking about replacing the pneumatic actuators with electric actuators?

When replacing pneumatic logic w/ a PLC there is the advantage that if the sequence needs to be changed, with the PLC there is no re-piping of the system or new valves or logic elements to buy. With the PLC system, there is more up front cost and if you konw the sequence will never change then perhaps this cost is wasted.

Another reason for keeping pneumatic logic is if the environment requires explosion proof controls. If this is the case you need to carefully select electric components and also be careful about the way they are integrated to maintain the required ATEX or other explosion proof ratings.

When you replace pneumatic actuators with electric actuators the initial cost is also higher and the running of cabels may be more involved than running pneumatic tubing (maybe not though). The real issue with actuators is to compare the cost of the compressed air you are using to the cost of the electricity used to run the actuator. This can be significant but you can also minimize your ait costs by running all your pneumatic devices at only the pressure requried to do the job. Running everything at line pressure when the motion might be completed with only 20 or 30 psi is a big energy waister.

Hope some of this helps. If not, let us know more about the application ...

What is meant by Electro-pneumatic? Are you talking about replacing pneumatic logic with a PLC or are you talking about replacing the pneumatic actuators with electric actuators?

thinking about replacing pneumatic logic with PLC (system upgrading), but the electric actuators are interesting too (just heard them now)..

The real issue with actuators is to compare the cost of the compressed air you are using to the cost of the electricity used to run the actuator. This can be significant but you can also minimize your ait costs by running all your pneumatic devices at only the pressure requried to do the job. Running everything at line pressure when the motion might be completed with only 20 or 30 psi is a big energy waister.

Have you installed electric pnuematics? Is it more easy to maintain than air cylinders? How about efficiency?