PanelView 900 SLC 05/2 Communication problem

micgent

System comprising SLC 5/02 CPU. Panel View 900, 2711-T9A2. Ser E, Rev A, Frn 2.02.

Fault: Panel view not transfering Command to move motors. Manual push buttons on side of m/c cabinet do control motors via PLC but the movement is not being regestered as a number count on the panel view as it should. Panel View touch screen works ok as menu's can be accessed. We tried a spare pre-programmed CPU which made no difference to m/c fault. Suspect we are looking at a comms problem between Panel View and CPU, we are getting no fault leds on CPU, comms light on CPU is strobing.
Investigation to interconnecting comms cable showed no obvious problem although it was not checked for contiuity.

Is there a diagnostic menu built into the panel view?
Any help on further diagnosis and how to overcome problem greatly appreciated.

thanks

micgent

Have you got the Panelview Manual ?

From memory (i may be wrong) when the panelview boots there a white square in one of the corners, press and hold this and you will get into the panelview config menu.

Before you change anything, be sure to make a note of the original settings ?

Have you got panelbuilder 32? And the original App ?

Panelview Manual here

SLC Manual here

And from memory the DH485 comms (Your obsolete 900 is a DH485 model by the way) Lights should be solid on both the processor and the panelview. Im not sure if the 900 has a physical LED but there is access to the comms led in the config screens. See below for status of the 900 LED.

Page 72 tells how to get to config mode (its bottom right of screen on boot).

Has anyone played (altered) the plc software ? They may have altered the comms port settings !

Have you checked or changed the cable ?

Chapter 13 - Troubleshooting

Chapter 12 Page 192 DH 485

I see your in Gateshead, I would have been in Ponteland this weekend visiting the inlaws but for a bout of swine flu with my kids!

comms.jpg comm.jpg

Last edited:
I see your in Gateshead, I would have been in Ponteland this weekend visiting the inlaws but for a bout of swine flu with my kids!

ohh that sounds like a pig!
Get well soon

Thanks again dave for that detailed response, I will have a read and work on it Monday

If you do venture North, the A1 Western Bypass has contra flow at TVTE so expect delays.

micgent

Further Investigation, by accessing the PV900 setup menu I found Fault and Comms leds satisfactory, by removing the comms lead the comms led showed error. Now satisfied PV900 and comms are ok I turned my attention to the SLC 5/02. On uploading the program I found it was password protected.
Noted the m/c has 7 Encoders and 7 PLC Encoder i/p cards. No led's were lit. Found no 5v rail to encoder cards. Found external 5V psu dead.

Im confident a repaired PSU shall bring the m/c back to life.

Cheers

micgent

With the repaired PSU refitted into the machine we now have the A & B leds on all 7 of the Encoder input cards.
But the count is still not being updated on the PV900?
I did notice that the leds dont flash as the encoders rotate A&B are both on at the same time with 3.4VDC between A&+5V B&+5V .

With the PLC having a live password protection.
Can I monitor the PLC input cards ie turn the encoder and see a count change on laptop screen running RSLogix 500?
I think the encoders are 60ppr they are just an etched disc incremental.
One thing I noticed were some pull up resistors connected between +5v and the A & B channel. Im now wondering has someone added these at a later date as this fault has been around a while.
All 7 cards appear to behave the same. Unless I have ****ed something up when trying to interogate the PLC but shurely is its password protected I cant do any wrong?

further help greatly appreciated.

micgent

You will need the password to access the code in the plc.

If the comms lights dh485 are solid on the pv and slc then its probably communicating.

Does the panelview screen do anything else ? IE pushbutton to start something ? Does this work ?

Sounds like the encoder or cards, what cards are they ?

You will need the password to access the code in the plc.

If the comms lights dh485 are solid on the pv and slc then its probably communicating.
I agree

Does the panelview screen do anything else ? IE pushbutton to start something ? Does this work ?
Yes I had not realised this earlier, but Pressing buttons on the PV900 does make the designated function move so PV900 is telling PLC to o/p a command. But we are not getting the resulting feedback from the encoders.

Sounds like the encoder or cards, what cards are they ?​

I need to find this out myself.

I just cant believe theres more than one fault. The duff PSU even fitted the operators description of 'the fault was intermittant to begin with then one day would not respond'
(I found a massive dry joint on the mains i/p to the psu)

micgent

Numb nut, I missed a ground return wire when connecting the PSU back up. Hence the encoders were floating.

m/c now running.