Panelview300 ASCII Entry

modinebv

I have a Micrologix1200 connected to a Panelview300 where I am storing model names in string files in the PLC. My Panelview can change the string file data with an ascii entry object. But what appears to be happening upon pressing enter and writing to the string file, is the first two characters that appear in the thumbwheel scratchpad are being written to the length portion of the string file. So in my data file (ST9) of the PLC the first characters that appear in the String Text are actually the third and fouth, not the first and second. In Panelview I have set up the tag as a character array with the address being the string file address (ST9:0). The array size does match the string width. Each time I recall the string file in panelview it appears correct, but when I look at the data file in the PLC it appears incorrect (missing first two characters). I actually have thirty model names and am using indirect addressing to change each one with the ascii entry object writing to a fixed temporary address. I discovered the problem when trying to change the first two characters of a model name. My PLC code was looking at the already existing name and comparing to the new name in the temporary address. Since it was not comparing the first two characters (written to the length portion of the string file), the PLC was not recognizing a name change. Any suggestions?

Thanks

In the tag database in PB32, try using ST9:0.1 for the address. I have had a similar problem and received that advice here.

EDIT: If you enter a string that is shorter than the existing one, it will pad the end of the string with null characters. I have a subroutine that takes care of that:

EDIT: The second screenshot shows the rung that calls the subroutine using the notify bit from the PV. ST44:12 in the first screenshot is the null character = "\00" (without the quotes).

PV_String_Truncate.jpg PV_String_Truncate_2.jpg

Last edited:
I entered the address change as you suggested and the program validated OK. So, I need to go download new program and try. Thanks for the help.

Modinebv, try using the 'enter' button once in awhile. I about went cross-eyed reading that huge paragraph!

Anyway, glad you asked this question, I have this same problem on one of my side projects.

Now I know the answer, thanks OkiePC!