RSView Security

scalelar

Hi all
Having trouble with password resetting. New customer wants a user name and password I had previously used. When I try to reset the password I get the message that this pw has been used try again. Also it seems when you load up an app someone else has done it assigns the security from your machine. any way to avoid this?
Thanks

Is this RSViewSE? ME? version? If it is RSViewSE(FactoryTalk View), then to get around the password reset problem you will need to go to, in studio, system\system policies\security policy. There you will see a field "previous passwords remembered", I think the default is three. Set that to zero, and you should be able to reset that password. Be careful with these settings because it can be a real pain if you lock yourself out, but you can see that you can manipulate quite a bit of your security settings from here.
As for part 2, I don't know any easy way to avoid assigning your security to an imported project.

Thanks for the reply. I'm using ME. Is there a similar funtion for ME?

It is in exactly the same place in ME. You must set your security settings via Studio, under the "System | Policies | System Policies | Security Policy", then re-build the app.

RSView ME just plain bites with the security, and the accounts and passwords will always be completely trashed on an upload if you did not use the same computer to edit as you did to develop the application. FTView ME/Station/SE have pretty much the absolute worst security handling of any HMI out there.

Also there is a chance that the ME is using inherited windows policies of the plant. The plant wide security policy could be set for different passwords each time.
Regards Alan

Thanks guys. I finally saw it. I get a little thick between the ears sometimes.

RSView ME just plain bites with the security, and the accounts and passwords will always be completely trashed on an upload if you did not use the same computer to edit as you did to develop the application
Yep and I do more editing these days than initial development and I usually forget security till I logon to the app.

Thanks guys. I finally saw it. I get a little thick between the ears sometimes.

Yep and I do more editing these days than initial development and I usually forget security till I logon to the app.

I've taken to pulling the security responsibility out of FTView, (Especially ME, thought sometimes SE as well), and put it in the PLC, controlling the visibility of 'secure' objects with a flag back from the PLC. Yes, this is certainly not as 'Secure' as the FTView Secure Login, but for 99% of our purposes, it suffices.