micrologix 1500 LRP SERIES C

Programmer4

Can anyone tell me how to download and upload the comments and descriptions from the programs. Are there some settings in RSLogix 500? Thank you for your support!

There are no comments or symbols stored in the PLC. They are a part of the .rss file saved by the PC.

It is possible to have multiple copies of the file on your PC and one of them may contain comments, but some of them may have been made without comments by selecting "create new file" when going online.

There are settings in RSLogix which will allow you to hide/display comments and symbols as well.

So, did you have comments for the program in question at one point and then lost them? Or have you never had the comments?

Paul

The thing is that when I download a program it has comments, but when I upload it does not. So how can I change the settings to be able to upload them back? Thank You

Okay, what has probably happened is that when you went back online, RSLogix did not find the commented copy matched exactly with the files stored in the default path on your PC (which can happen for a variety of reasons).

So it prompted you to find the file or create a new one. You (or some other person using the PC) selected Create New File. This new file had no comments, but was later saved. It is now the best matching file that RSLogix can find when you go online, so RSLogix chooses it and does not even give you the chance to pick the correct one.

To fix this problem, figure out which file(s) on your PC have no comments and delete them (or move them out of the default directory).

Again, the PLC does not contain comments. They are ONLY stored on the programming PC, so find the file with RSLogix that still has the comments, and then go online. If RSLogix says "Matching file not found" don't create a new file, rather use the browse option to select the correct file you have identified and select "Upload Use File".

Paul

I don't think you are understanding what Paul said.

The program may have had comments, but you did not download the comments because you cannot download the comments. Its not happening and there is absolutely no way to download the comments. The only thing you downloaded was the ladder program iteself, no comments, no symobols. Comments exist only on your computer in the .RSS file. They do not exist in the PLC as the Micrologix PLC does not have enough memory to store the comments. When you upload you can instruct RSView to upload and use use an exisiting file. RSLogix will then associate the comments stored on your computer with the addresses and code uploaded from the PLC. Hopefully that .RSS file still exists on your computer and you have not overwritten it.

Also, If you don't have a reason to believe that the PLC program has changed then you don't need to do an upload. Open the .RSS file and simply go online - no upload required.

edit: I see Paul replied while I was still typing.

Last edited:
This is a very common issue, and I know somehwere in the archives here or at MrPLC there is a good write-up with screenshots but I had no luck finding it.

Paul

This is a very common source of confusion for people just starting with the micrologix. Keep working with it and keep the faith, eventually it will make sense to you.