Hazardous Location Pushbuttons

infineum

I kind of thought that this topic has been discussed. But a search produced no good threads. I am setting up a control panel in a process room for a centrifuge. The room is rated for class 1, division 2. All wiring is intrinsically safe; i.e. fed from intrinsic safety barriers. I need pushbuttons, pilot lights, and a potentiometer. Theoretically, I can use anybody's equipment since the current is limited by the barriers. However, since the current is limited, I am sure there are issues especially with pilot lights. Does anybody know of manufacturers that has equipment that works well with low current?

Sorry, no direct experience to help, but try looking here www.omega.com

Worst case, they have a great "reference" section where people can find a ton of information about automation and control.

i have found no pilot lights that will work with barriers, but there might be some out there. AB has an 800H series that is rated for class 1, div 1. look at nfpa 70 sections 500 and 501. dont forget your requirements for conduit, seal offs, and enclosure requirements. is the enclosure in the classified area or in general purpose control room? what about purging the enclosure? you might goto www.mikeholt.com to ask your electrical questions.

regards,
james

Check out my link

i have found no pilot lights that will work with barriers, but there might be some out there. AB has an 800H series that is rated for class 1, div 1. look at nfpa 70 sections 500 and 501. dont forget your requirements for conduit, seal offs, and enclosure requirements. is the enclosure in the classified area or in general purpose control room? what about purging the enclosure? you might goto www.mikeholt.com to ask your electrical questions.

regards,
james

James,

You obviously didn't check out my link. If you had, you would have found at least 1. :) Also, in rereading the original post myself, I wanted to mention that the statement that "theoretically I could use anyone's device" is only true for the pushbuttons. One must first determine if the hardware classifies as a simple apparatus before making this claim.

Last edited:
RStahl

I went on the RStahl website. They have a number of pushbuttons, potentiometers, and selector switches for hazardous rated areas. For example, the LED pilot light only requires 14ma @ 24VDC. I believe that the P&F digital output barrier can handle up to 45 ma. Anybody have experience with these devices? And yes, they do offer (and I would purchase) gold plated contacts.

Stahl is a good choice we have often used their products.

They can supply everything you need and the reseller in Holland (electromach) knows what he is talking about.

Allen Bradly have a line of pushbuttons with hermeticaly sealed (reed switch) contacts, you should be able to use those without barriers.
Your devices dont't have to be IS for Class 1 Div 2, just non sparking
Roy

What is you area classification? In case of Class 2, all you need - just Nema 4 rated pilot light. In case of Class 1, you may try Class 1, div. II rated pilot lights from any supplier. It kind of contradicts of the idea to use IS barriers, since you have to run rigid conduit to enclose power wiring for the light. I would try to use IS barriers for solenoid valves to make this wiring intrinsically safe. As I remember, IS solenoid driver can handle up to 50 ma, and may be sufficient for LED light.
Good luck.

my understanding of intriscally safe barriers is that they limit any current flow to a max of 20mA, thus reducing any chance of a spark ocurring in a short circuit senario.