PB 32 Search

The Plc Kid

In pb32 and in the tag editor is there a way to search a tag to see what oject it is connected to and on what screen?

How many places the tag is used?

I assume that you can have tags in the Db that are not used woth objects in the pv application correct?

I also can not seem to find a way to sort the addresses for the tags in a logical order. Seems to only sort by tag name.

I need to look at the addresses in a sequential order?

The Plc Kid said:
In pb32 and in the tag editor is there a way to search a tag to see what oject it is connected to and on what screen?

How many places the tag is used?

Highlight the whole row containing the tag and then press [ctrl] + [shift] + T. Or right click and select "Used By"

The Plc Kid said:
I assume that you can have tags in the Db that are not used woth objects in the pv application correct?

Yes, you can have tags that are not used in the application (spares).

The Plc Kid said:
I also can not seem to find a way to sort the addresses for the tags in a logical order. Seems to only sort by tag name.

Select the column you wish to sort and then press the sort button. It's the button that shows "A" over "Z" with an arrow next to them.

Note that sorting by address is really sorting alphabetically, so if you have B3:0/1, B3:0/10, B3:0/2, they won't appear in numerical order. B3:0/10 will sort ahead of B3:0/2.

For this reason, I always pad my addresses with extra zeros: B03:000/01, B03:000/02, etc.

Paul

Last edited:
Okie

Why would b3:0/10 sort ahead of b3:0/2 if sorting alphabetically?

I just still don't get that part?

For this reason, I always pad my addresses with extra zeros: B03:000/01, B03:000/02, etc.

Paul

How do the extre zero's help? Do you have to change this before installing the application or are the extra zeros legal addresses?

What is the limit on extra zeros?

I did not know you could use extra zeros. I thought it had to have the exact address?

Sorry for all the simple questions but i am banging my head trying to learn this old hmi software.

I guess i have been spoiled by rs view.

Okie

When trying to serch a tag for usage and i right click on the tag or use [ctrl] + [shift] + T. the used by option is grayed out?

Is there saomething i need to enable?

Select the WHOLE ROW, not just the tagname cell.

Alphabetic sort:
B3:0/0
B3:0/1
B3:0/10
B3:0/11
B3:0/12
B3:0/13
B3:0/14
B3:0/15
B3:0/2
etc.

Alphabetic sort with padded zeros:
B3:0/00
B3:0/01
B3:0/02
B3:0/10
B3:0/11
B3:0/12
B3:0/13
B3:0/14
B3:0/15
etc.

Yes, the padded zeroes are legal. I often inherit applications with all sorts of different address formatting, like B3/192 for one and b3:18/7 for another. First thing I do to clean things up is copy and paste the whole table (or sections of it) into excel. There I can search and replace to fix lots of stuff very quickly, then (after deleting those tags in PB32) copy and paste them back into PB32. You can also export and import to csv using the file menu if you want to do the whole thing.

Help any?

EDIT: Also, to sort in PB32, you can double click the column name...

Last edited:
Now i understand the padded zero's but the used by feature still will not work.

I have tried selecting the whole row and the individual cell. When you selct the entire row the first cell is always highlighted.

The used by is still grayed out and i did not see anything in settings or options that would disable it?

How does it understand the extra zero since the address in the plc does not have the extra zero?

Can you have the extra zero in the plc address also?

Would that be a benefit or a curse?

Or does it need the eztra zero in the processor also?

The processor does not care about the padded zeroes. I think it (the PLC) strips them out when it receives Read or Write Requests. Perhaps it's done by the communication driver. I just know it works.

I do the same thing with DDE/OPC and have used that method with a variety of different HMIs.

The extra zeros are a power programming technique i presume.

I have never seen mention of that before but that will be a huge time saver.

I need to learn more of these kind of tips and tricks to make life easier.

They are hard to find though.

I wish we had a thread with nothing but power programming tips tricks and techniques.

Found a few things searching the forum but few and far between.