RS LINX question

shoelesscraig

We just received a new piece equipment at work today that contains a MicroLogix 1400. I tried connecting our PC to it to take a look at the program and could not get Linx to connect to the unit. I have no problem getting Linx to connect to any of our other equipment. I could get it to realize that something was there, but it would call it an "unrecognized device". Doesn't matter if I tried ethernet or the RS232 port.

We are using Linx revision number:
2.51.00.21 (CPR 7). I'm wondering if this version will not talk to the Micrologix 1400? Anybody got any ideas?

Let me also add, the machine I'm referring to is not connected to any network in any way. I came right out of our laptop with an ethernet cable directly into the Micrologix. I see in the manual it talks about a hub or switch and I have no such item. I have lots of experience with other communication types, but not with ethernet. Almost everything in our building is DH-485. Maybe I'm hooking it up wrong?

Last edited:
Upgrade to the latest RSLinx. It is free. (big download though)
Linx can see it but when that version of RSLinx was made, a 1400 did not exist, therefore it does not know what it is.
Regards Alan Case

It might be you just need the EDS file installed for the 1400.

Try right-clicking the device in RSLinx, and see if it gives you the option to "Upload EDS File from Device". If so do it and install the file.

If not, visit the RA site and download the file to your PC, then install it from your download destination.

If you do install the EDS, and it still says "Unrecognised.." then restarting the PC often helps.

RSLinx Classic version 2.51 does not support either of the modern Ethernet-equipped MicroLogix controllers (the MicroLogix 1100 and the MicroLogix 1400).

The EDS file alone will not enable an older version of RSLinx to work with these controllers. There were some actual changes to the Ethernet Devices and the EtherNet/IP drivers to support these controllers.

Download and install RSLinx 2.54 or 2.55, which are available at no charge from the Rockwell Automation Support website.

It might be you just need the EDS file installed for the 1400.

Try right-clicking the device in RSLinx, and see if it gives you the option to "Upload EDS File from Device". If so do it and install the file.

If not, visit the RA site and download the file to your PC, then install it from your download destination.

If you do install the EDS, and it still says "Unrecognised.." then restarting the PC often helps.

Agreed!

I was recently using ArmorBlocks and found that you could access the EDS file from it's web server. I just punched up it's IP address in my web browser and there was a link for it.

Some of the newer Ethernet modules do have the EDS file embedded inside them (in .GZ compressed format!) and RSLinx (2.52 or later) or the embedded web page can access that file. It's a pretty neat feature.

For this specific instance, though, an EDS file will not suffice. RSLinx 2.51 cannot communicate with a MicroLogix 1400 controller. Craig must install RSLinx 2.54 or RSLinx 2.55.

Some of the newer Ethernet modules do have the EDS file embedded inside them (in .GZ compressed format!) and RSLinx (2.52 or later) or the embedded web page can access that file. It's a pretty neat feature.

That is a cool feature (y)

I actually just downloaded 2.55 this morning.

Thanks for the help guys. Before I posted this thread, I did download the EDS file directly from the Micrologix. Prior to doing that, it just showed a big yellow question mark and said "unrecognized device". After I got the EDS file, it showed that it was a Micrologix 1400 and showed the little picture of a ML, but still wouldn't let me connect up to it. I'll talk to who ever I need to talk to about getting the download for Linx (you know how IT procedures can be at work).

One question, will the new Linx cause any problems with me talking to some older equipment? We still have a lot of that floating around too.

Backstory: In around 2002, RSLinx 2.31 did not install the 1747-PIC driver if it detected Windows XP as the operating system. It was added back in the next version once a stable (or as good as it gets) 1747-PIC driver was developed for XP.

The same thing is done for Windows Vista; RSLinx 2.54 will not install the 1747-PIC driver in Vista because it doesn't work (and never will) under Windows Vista or Windows 7. It still gets installed in Windows XPSP2.

RSLinx Classic is a gigantic download because of the large number of EDS files that are packaged with it. Be judicious when installing EDS files; if you don't use AC drives on networks, especially, don't install the drive library.

The same thing is done for Windows Vista; RSLinx 2.54 will not install the 1747-PIC driver in Vista because it doesn't work (and never will) under Windows Vista or Windows 7. It still gets installed in Windows XPSP2.

uh ha, okay, that rings a bell. i lost track because I've got 2 laptops, 1 with xp and 1 with vista. Thanks Ken.