Profi Bus PA Question

Chado613

My question has to do with Total Current consumption.

I am trying to size power supplies for the PA network.

Each Link module will typically consume 400mA

Each coupler (Non-ex) will consume 750mA – Does anyone know if that 750 includes all of the devices connected to that coupler?

Thanks

Chado,

Do you want to do the power calculations for the 24VDC power supply to the PLC, links and couplers? Or do you want to make a power calculation for the PROFIBUS PA network and all the instruments?

The answer on the first question is simple. The 750 mA is the maximum current the coupler needs, both for it’s own electronics and for all the instruments connected to it (probably max. 400 mA in your case). I can check the numbers if you give me the part number.

If you want to calculate the PROFIBUS PA network itself, you have a bit more work to do...

For example:Current Consumption IM 153-2 400mA (From Siemens IK PI 2007 Pg 4/67)Current Consumption DP/PA Coupler Non-Ex version 750mA (From Siemens IK PI 2007 Pg 4/67)
A network segment with 7 devices totaling 107mA Basic Current

Would the total current be:400+750+107=1257mA Or 400+750=1150mA

My only question is which i think Jobbe answered was does the 750mA max current for the coupler include the instruemnts connected to it.

Does 750mA = Coupler + Instruemnts