Ethernet ASCII Messages to EZMarquee

Simba2

Hi
We have a control logix 1756-L55 with an ethernet/IP card 1756-ENET/A connected to an EZMarquee message display via ethernet.
According to the manufactures we should be able to send ASCII messages to the marquee's IP address for it to display.
The EZMarquee's manual only covers connection via serial using the AWT command there's no information on sending ASCII via ethernet.
Does anybody know of a way we can send ASCII using Ethernet to this device?
Thanks.

Save yourself a world of trouble, and pick up an interface from here:
http://www.rtaautomation.com/ethernetip/435nba2/

At the time I was installing them, the 1756 Ethernet cards only spoke Ethernet/IP, I don't know if that has changed at all, but using one of those interface boxes works like a charm.

I second that. I have used several of them and they work great. I prefer the RTA to an ENI any day only because of the easy of setup.

I got my first unit out of the box and had it up and running in 10 minutes. The tech support and sales guy from the RTA is on this site from time to time if you get in a bind.

Thanks for your responses we are going to see if we can get the RTA unit in Australia, the other option that we thought of was to put the cheapest micrologix 1100 in a junction box next to the marquee and use it's ethernet & serial ports then send msg to the micrologic and a little program in the micrologix to send the ASCII data out of it's serial port.

Thanks for your responses we are going to see if we can get the RTA unit in Australia, the other option that we thought of was to put the cheapest micrologix 1100 in a junction box next to the marquee and use it's ethernet & serial ports then send msg to the micrologic and a little program in the micrologix to send the ASCII data out of it's serial port.

That is an option, but the RTA unit is probably a whole lot easier to deal with. Basically, it's a smart device, that you configure (optionally, bi-directionally) to just monitor a tag in the PLC, then it will either cyclically, or on change spit that tag's value out of it's serial port.

It can handle some formatting and translation internally as well.