Interesting reading

Hundikoer, please delete the double post.
And, you could have added to the "why pay for programming software thread".

Anyway, I dont think that there are any new arguments in that post.
The licensing and copy protection is a nuisance, yes.
Why dont they just add the price of the software to the hardware then ?
AB/Rockwell could do that, but Siemens cannot. This because there are no compatible PLCs that can be programmed with RSLogix, but there actually are compatible PLCs that can be programmed with STEP7. If STEP7 was free, all the compatible S7 PLCs would get a free ride from Siemens development of STEP7.

I liked the part about forum questions:
"As I write this, I’ve found 533 messages about licensing software, 2,163 messages about PLCs, and 1,260 messages about HMI hardware and software on one company’s user forum, where users help each other with problems"

I have never understood any of this complaint/arguement, especially in today's environment. If you don't want to pay for programming software don't select a platform that requires it. There are options.

I also don't agree that the development software cost should be included in the price of the hardware. That just means that I as an OEM get to pay for your (end users) copy of software. And I get to pay for the guy you ultimately sell the machine to. The firmware (McDermott's equivalent to Windows) is part of the plc already so that is a moot point. The rest of it you are already paying for as part of the computer cost. I look at it the other way. I don't think I can buy a completely blank computer from Dell and save the software cost. I should be able to. If I already have the software why do I want to pay for it again? Maybe what McDermott is looking for is a plc/software package deal. That I could see, maybe.

Complaining about software cost is alot like building a house on the East Coast of the US and then complaining that it gets wiped off the face of the earth every three years. You know what you're getting into when you build. I don't get that one either.

Keith

I have absolutely no problem paying for software. My major complaint is the absoltely outrageous prices many manufacturers want for the software.
An additional objection is having to buy 2, 3, 4 sets of software from a manufacturer to cover the range of PLCs, networking, screens etc.
Finish up with 4-5 software packages from the same manufacturer, quite often at exhorbitant prices.
Just 'negotiating' with a manufacturer now for a package I have to use on a job. Ridiculous price! I have an old version and they do not have an upgrade path - the new version is an arm and a leg.