OT: Cable stripper/slitter recommendations

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I am getting weary of using a utility knife to strip small multi-conductor cables (i.e. sensor cordsets). I've been looking at a few cable stripping tools--can anyone share their experiences? Do they work as advertised? It seems like it would be easy to nick the inner conductors if you're not careful. The two I am looking at are the Xcelite CJS100 and the Greenlee 1900.

984-0127.jpg 45824.JPG

I have used the Greenlee type for a few years. I normally set the depth with a scrap piece of cable before I cut the actual cable just because you can be too deep and nick the inner wires.

What I like about this type is you make the circular cut, then use a handle on the tool to rotate the cutter and then make the vertical cut. Even if you are not quite deep enough, you can generally pull enough to finish the split.