Does code require a 120v outlet in my panel?

amarino

We are building a small (12x20") panel which is quickly running out of room. I always thought we HAD to have a 120v outlet in there but someone said it's not required? Anyone know? I would sure like to save the space.

-Thanks in advance, AL

I never heard of such a code, but I have seen it as a customer requirement for panels that contain PLC or other controls that might require the use of a laptop.

Paul

Many of our newer machines have an outlet/ethernet connection mounted through the side of the cabinet or on the door.

They usually have a sealed cover that latches closed.

This would be a way to save space and still have an outlet.

I do not believe it is a code requirement.
However
I agree with Paul it is sure handy and convenient and saves time chasing down an extension cord for a drop light or extension cord.

It also comes in real handy when you want to see if one 120V supplied component only is operating properly or take readings etc with nothing else energized.

I would label the receptacle as independent supplied and for sure identify where the breaker is. Takes one minute more on install but saves hours chasing conduit.

Dan Bentler