Connecting two PLCs to one computer

coudet

I'm trying to connect 2 Compact Logix PLCs via rs232 to one computer with 2 serial ports. The goal is to run 2 similar factorytalk local applications in the same computer, each application communicates with differents PLCs.

In addition:

PLC 1: 1769-L31 Compact Logix 5331

PLC 2: 1769-L31 Compact Logix 5331

PC: regular computer with 2 serial ports (COM1 & COM2).

Communication:

PLC1 - FactoryTalk Se Local (APPLICATION 1)<------> COM1
PLC2 - FactoryTalk Se Local (APPLICATION 2)<------> COM2

Is it possible??

Thank you for the answer. So, as you say, I can run both applications at the same time?? There can be any conflicts accessing the PLC values?? Is it as simple as configuring two different communication drivers, both with the same type of communication (RS232 DF1)?? The referred aplication is migrated from a Panel View. The OPC topic refers to the node name in the comunication setup in the Panel Builder editor??

use an ethernet to serial converter .
you can look into moxa products.
you will create 2 virtual serial port by a program which has in the CD of moxa .

Tayfun. For different reasons, I must use rs232 directly. If the two applications don't work properly together, then i will deploy only one. Expecting another opinion... Thanks...

You can have the 2 serial ports configured and communicating to the PLC's ... but I believe that you are looking to run 2 different HMI applications at the same time - I don't think that you will be able to do that.

It's a little confusing as to what you are after. As Oakley pointed out, if you are wanting to run two HMI applications on the same PC, that can be problematic, although a little contrary to Oakley's post it can be done under the right circumstances. If you want to be able to hotkey switch between two applications then you can use some virtual machine software and run the two applications under different sessions. If however, you are trying to run them concurrently, then you can't do that as Oakley pointed out. Your best bet there would be to combine the two apps into one application and use menus to select one or the other. I've done that often. Then your one HMI would have two topics that pointed to two DF1 OPC links, each one to the individual PLC.