MicrolLogix1500 and ethernet

Hi there
A customer of ours wants ethernet capability on a machine we're supplying. We, however, want to use a ML1500.
Is there anything available to permit this or do I have to upgrade to SLC 5/05?

Thanks

I have about 38 machines with the Micrologix 1500 and the
1761-NET-ENI on our network. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks,
Bob

Hey Bob
Not having any luck connecting a MicroLogix 1500 and the 1761-NEt-ENI. Use the Net utility to set up an IP address in the 1761... That worked ok. In RSLinx Clasic Lite the 1761 comes up as unrecognized even though I have installed the lastest EDS files, I have version D of the 1761. Also are you abel to program a ML1500 through a 1761-NET-ENI. I have found info on AB that says messaging only and other places that say it supports programing?? Anything special I need to set up on the 1761 or the ML1500 to get it to recognize each other?
Thanks Jeff

WAG: I had that problem with a series d unit recently that was connected to a SLC with the serial port set to 38.4k baud. I finally found a technote that recommended changing the baud rate in the NET-ENI configuration from Auto to the actual baud rate. Once I did that (using the configuration utility), I was able to see the processor correctly in RSLinx. Before I did that, sometimes I would get the red x, and other times I could see the NET-ENI in RSLinx.

EDIT: I believe the comment about "messaging only" is meant to let you know that you can't use it to control Ethernet I/P based I/O. We use the NET-ENI all the time to program Micrologix and SLC processors, as well as connect to HMIs and other processors. I have not, however, used one with a ML1500.

Paul

Last edited:
Which driver are you using in RSLinx that shows the 1761-NET-ENI as "Unrecognized Device"; the Ethernet Devices driver or the EtherNet/IP driver ?

Does the question mark icon also have a red X over it ? That would indicate no connectivity at all, rather than an identity problem.

Try two simple connectivity tests:

from a Command line window, PING the IP address of the 1761-NET-ENI to see if you get a basic ICMP response.

from a web browser, enter the IP address of the 1761-NET-ENI to see if the embedded web pages are accessible.

Ethernet Devices driver the 1761 came up as unrecognized and red x, In the table I added all the IP's as listed below. If I used the ETHIP they would be recognized. I am able to ping the units and the laptop. But still not able to connect to the ML1500 thru the 1761 for programing. What or do I have to set up in the message routing table in the 1761 config utility, does this need to be configured also to connet thru rslinx to the ML1500 processor? I used these IP addresses laptop 192.168.1.250, 1761-NEt-ENI 192.168.1.10, and a second 1761-NET-ENI to 192.168.1.11 all three connected to a switch, all three I can ping OK. The 1761 are ver D all set for Auto config and the proper cables connected to channel 0 and 1.
Thanks for any insight

Since you can ping it, that is a good sign, but you should still try Ken's advice and try to access the built-in web page.

You should not need to set up the messge routing table to use it with RSLinx/RSLogix.

You might try setting the ENI serial baud rate to the actual fixed baud rate instead of auto. I have only seen one (out of about ten) net-eni modules give trouble with it set for auto, but it is worth a shot.

You might also try shutting down RSLinx and restarting it.

Last edited: