Terminal Emulator in XP Professional

hagos

Dear Folks,

I'm looking for some help, we have a faulty metal detector, to acknowledge this fault, we need to send a command via the computer.

I recall that we can send the command when we are in the "Terminal mode".I appreciate if some one of you guys can tell me how can I enter the terminal mode, I'm using an XP Professional.

Cheers
Hagos

Unfortunately there is no one "Terminal Mode". There are three different things that come to my mind that could be considered "Terminal Mode" They mostly depend on how you are connected to the device and how you are trying to communicate with it.

Do you mean a DOS prompt? If so, start -> run -> cmd

Do you mean a terminal connection for serial communications? If that's the case, Hypertermial (included with windows but not necessarily installed) is probably your best bet.

It could be a telnet connection that you need. That's usually used for remote CLI connections over a network. If that's the case, use Telnet.

I presume that you need to send strings/Command in terminal mode through RS232 to the equipemnt?
Then Use Hyper terminal.
XP prof has it in Accessories - Communication - HyperTerminal

HyperTerminal works, but it is generally a god-awful PITA to actually GET working. To this day, I don't know why MicroSoft dropped the old, simple plain 'Terminal' program from the Win16 and Win32S days. /sigh

Anyway, take a look also at RealTerm... It's handy as a terminal program, and for serial comms troubleshooting:

http://realterm.sourceforge.net/