AB1500 Need to monitor the instantaneous Power coming from a 150 HP

piscis

I’m working on two “Energy Consumption” projects for two different customers with two different PLC; AB1500 and AD260, the two most popular PLC in our island. My question below refers only to the AB1500 PLC.

We installed a true power sensor (model #UPC from Load Controls) this sensor has only a 4-20ma output to the PLC.

I need to monitor the instantaneous Power coming from a 150 HP Air Compressors, which is turned ON in the morning and turned OFF 12 hours later, loading and unloading all day long.

I need to show on a Touchscreen the amount of money this compressor has cost the company for the period it was ON

I would like to receive from you some ideas on how to make the power used by this compressor as real and as close as possible to the actual KW consumption on a 12 hours period.

Would you grab a reading every 3 seconds and average it over an hour? How would you do it?

Does AB have special instructions for this type of applications?

Thanks for your answers.

Multiply the KW with time to get KW hours.
Totalize the KW hours.
Then multiply the Kw hours by the rate.

Also look into kVar Charges and any Max. demand charges.
Alot of money can be saved on demand charges, depending on how the utility calculates the monthly bill.