Plc to Laser system Interface ??

Martin IRL

Hi All,
I have to interface a PLC control system to a laser system, the laser system has the ability to store 256 system settings (laser power, frequency etc) and these settings can be called/activated by applying a 24V signals to an 8pin connector. My question is I have 8 pins on the user interface of the laser labels as follows:

LOWER 1 UPPER 1
LOWER 2 UPPER 2
LOWER 3 UPPER 3
LOWER 4 UPPER 4

How do I find out what sequence of 24V at the pin of the connector equates to the 0 to 255 programs?

Many Thanks
Martin… :confused:

Its nothing more than a guess, but lower 1 through lower 4 probably represent the binary bits of the least significant digit and upper 1 through upper 4 represent the corresponding bits of the most significant digit of a two-digit hex value that the laser controller interprets.

If you were to post the brand and part number of the laser, someone here might recognize it and point you to a URL where you can get a copy of the user's manual. It would be preferrable to base the design of your interconnection on the information to be found in the manual rather than on my WAG.

Martin IRL said:
I have to interface a PLC control system to a laser system, the laser system has the ability to store 256 system settings (laser power, frequency etc) and these settings can be called/activated by applying a 24V signals to an 8pin connector.

You have 256 settings, you also have 256 possible inputs.

255 = 11111111 in binary add 00000000 as another possible input gives you your 256 settings.

again another guess.

Paul