GE Versapro ?

jcraft

We have a 90-30 rack with a 363 processor in it. The program is currently built with Versapro version 1.5. I have gone online with the plc and everything is equal. There is a PID instruction for a burner that I need to adjust the PID parameters. I have right clicked on the instruction and went to tuning parameters which brings up the tuning box. Her is where I am getting confused. If I change the P, I or D values and hit update plc it says that it updates the plc. However, when I go to update folder then it flags me and says that the folder will become unequal. If I click on that I do in fact get unequality. If I go to check all the folder becomes equal but when I go back in and check the instruction the old values are back in there. If I go to update folder first then the update plc box is greyed out so I can't pick it. I have updated these values in other programs with Machine Edition and if I update the PLC first and then the folder everything works fine and everything is still equal. Please advise If I am doing this correctly in Versapro. Thanks

I haven't used VersaPro regularly in years, so I can't comment on whether or not your technique is correct. That's an old version of VP. It went into the 2.x range before being superceded by Machine Edition. VersaPro always had numerous annoying quirks and this may be one of them.

I'd recommend importing the VP folder into Machine Edition and using that from now on. If that's not feasible for this application then try writing values directly to the PLC registers from a reference view table or variable view table instead of using VP's PID faceplate. The P, D, and I settings are offset by 5, 6, and 7 addresses from the starting address shown on the PID function block in ladder logic. That is, if the PID function block shown %R100 as its address, then the P gain is in %R0105, D gain is in %R0106, and I rate is in %R0107. They are all integers, although the PID faceplate shows them with a decimal point. There are two implied decimal places for P and D and three for I. If the PID faceplate shows a P or D gain 123.45, you'll see a value of 12345 in %R0105 or %R0106. If it shows 12.345 for I, you'll see a value of 12345 in %R0107.

The inequality issue may arise out of making the modified values the default values for those variables.

I actually am trying this as we speak. I have gone directly to the reference view table, and tried to write into the registers for Kp Kd and Ki directly but it won't accept the values, it defaults to the ones that are currently in there. Kind of strange.