FlexLogix Obsolete?

WildeKurt

I've heard from two people at Allen Bradley that FlexLogix processors will become obsolete shortly. I noticed on the last RsLogix update, all processors had newer firmware levels available (17) while the Flex processors remained at 16. I've googled the subject to no avail. Anyone else heard about this?

Why would the be silver series so soon that line is omly about 10 years old at best correct?

Will something be replacing them?

I have a ton of these.

What are the options?

Why would the be silver series so soon that line is omly about 10 years old at best correct?

Will something be replacing them?

I have a ton of these.

What are the options?

Its my belief that the Compact Logic is deemed to be Flex Logics replacement.

I also bepieve the long term future for Rockwells PLC's are
ML 1100
ML 1400
Compact Logics
Control Logix
All other will go silver, but these are only my thoughts.

Last edited:
The flexlogix processor is what is being silver series'd, not the flex IO. I don't think the flex processor was a big seller, it never really got a big market share.
Regards Alan Case

I think Alan is right. I was told the 1794 Flex I/O stuff will continue on (thankfully as it's a great product) but only the processors will be obsoleted. CompactLogix is the obvious replacement. I believe they've expanded the Compact stuff somewhat too.

Ok, that's a groin-kick. I just did a brand-spankin' new machine with a FlexLogix processor. My distributor never said anything about that product going silver. At least it will be around a while for replacements once it goes silver. Does anyone know if AB has an option to go direct from the CompactLogix bus to a Flex I/O bus through an adapter of some sort? Or am I stuck with a comm module?

Keith

I really wish AB would've come out with a little Ethernet processor in the Point IO line. :/

There are a LOT of times I need a very very small package, with more capabilities then the MicroLogix line.

I've had pretty good luck distributing control with the MicroLogix 1100 systems. Built in ethernet and nearly all the program functionality of the SLC systems except indirect addressing. Also they have a built in high speed counter, analog inputs and DINT data types. Use MSG insructions to communicate with other processors. Pretty limited I/O but for the price it's not a bad package at all.

When I said it's E-Net sucks, that comment was directed at the processor itself. The front end of that Ethernet port was a VERY slow chip. Even though they would connect at 10/100 the UART that supported that port was only 115 Kbaud MAX, subsequently there is allot of overhead.

Last edited:
How "bad" is the 1788-EBNT/A module?

Hi Bitmore,

I'm using a 1788-EBNT/A module on my 1794-L34 FlexLogix controller. Is this module actually using an UART that's only up to 115 Kbaud MAX? If that's the case, it would certainly explain why I have such a slow updated speed of the controller tags to the RSLinx OPC server. Is there any document that you can refer me to, or is it something that you just found out by "trial-and-error"?

thanks,